108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

problem setting-up a modem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mark Greene_1
Honored Contributor

problem setting-up a modem

I've setup a modem on a port on our 16-port mux card (an HP part), and when I try to connect to the modem via 'cu', I get this:

cu -s 9600 -l /dev/ttyd1a8 -d 9 -m dir
call dial(2139031520)
baud=9600, speed=9600, line=/dev/ttyd1a8, telno=(null)
call find_dev(17737603740)
baud=9600, speed=9600, line=/dev/ttyd1a8, telno=(null)
Connect failed: Requested device/system name not known

here's the info on the device file for the port:

ls -l /dev/ttyd1a8
crw-r--r-- 1 bin bin 77 0x010702 Jun 6 10:05 /dev/ttyd1a8

file /dev/ttyd1a8
/dev/ttyd1a8: character special (77/67330)

Could this just be an issue with the cable? I've just tried it with the cable we were using on with the modem on our DG system. I cannot take apart the ends, so I can't tell how it's been pinned. I do have the HP cabling guide document, and will build a modem cable end as specified there and try that next.
I'm just concerned that I've missed a piece of the setup.

mark
the future will be a lot like now, only later
9 REPLIES 9
Thayanidhi
Honored Contributor

Re: problem setting-up a modem

Some mux doesn't support full modem (hand shaking). Make sure you are not using the DDP port. You should use MDP ports. If any modem already working on this same panel, then it's not an issue

Attitude (not aptitude) determines altitude.
MANOJ SRIVASTAVA
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Mark

No these two things are not correalted , it has nothing to do with the cable at all . And all the modems work or Mux ports , so long as it is a fixed serial port .

Solution is edit /etc/uucp/Devices and put a entry like this

at the end of the file :
Direct tty0p1 - 9600 direct \D

or ACU tty0p1 - 9600 ps_mt_1432_tone

depending on the type of modem , try using direct first.

Manoj Srivastava
Vijeesh CTK
Trusted Contributor

hi

you want to configure modem in dial out mode..?
u will get 3 devices ttyd,cua and cul. edit your /etc/uucp/Devices and and the entry for dial out device..ie /dev/cul0pX

then cu -l /dev/cul0pX

CTK
Mark Greene_1
Honored Contributor

Adding the entry in /etc/uucp/Devices took care of the connectivity issue. I am disappointed that SAM does not do this automatically. Kind of silly for it not to, I would think.

I used the /dev/ttyd1a8 port reference, btw.

The only surprise now is that the ATL5 command (to report current config) returns ERROR. I've never seen this before, and it's a US Robotics modem too. Anyone have a URL to whomever it is that bought them? Perhaps I can find some documentation for this modem on-line.

My thanks to all who replied!
Mark
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Mark,

Here's their URL

http://www.usr.com/home.asp

BTW most US Robotics modems have a DIP sw to control whether they use their native codes or the Hayes set.

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Mark Greene_1
Honored Contributor

Jeff, thanks for the link. They have a "generic" sportster manual on-line, so I found the commands I needed (ATI1 - ATI7).

mark
MANOJ SRIVASTAVA
Honored Contributor

Hi Mark

You can also get the Command Set :

http://www.modem.com/general/extendat.html

Manoj Srivastava
Rothery Harris
Trusted Contributor

The modem will require the correct cable. HP's mux panel are wired as DCE so that a DTE can plug straight in. To PROPERLY control a modem you do need the MDP type panel. This will drop the session if the carrier detect or data set ready signal disappears. Otherwise if the remote user is cut off the session is left open which is a significant security risk. The panels will also provide the correct signals to the modem. When the remore user types exit the HP mux will drop DTR so that the call is cleared. It is possible to make a non-MDP panel work but you have to set the modem to ignore any of the control line.
Your modem cable should have crossed lines (2-3, 3-2, 6-20 etc.) . This should be shown in you HP manual.

Rothery Harris
Vijeesh CTK
Trusted Contributor

hi

I am having the USR 56K Message modem. Attahced the manual of that.

CTK