1755993 Members
3341 Online
108839 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: problems with ftp

Richard Darling
Trusted Contributor

problems with ftp

One of our customers is trying to ftp files to our L1000 running 11.0 and is having intermittent problems. I have installed the latest patches for ftp. Their machines hang up on them when they attempt the transfer and I receive the following when I check the process:
root:L1000>:ps -ef | grep ftpd
root 22989 570 0 16:43:28 ? 0:00 ftpd: 66.57.243.33: brooks: STOR
cvfcusti^M^J
root 22918 570 0 16:40:04 ? 0:00 ftpd: 66.57.243.33: brooks: STOR
/cvfcusti^M^J

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
Richard Darling
rdarling@southwickclothing.com
20 REPLIES 20
Uday_S_Ankolekar
Honored Contributor

Hi,

How big is the file..?? If the file size is bigger than 2 gb then you need set FS to accomodate bigger file.

Check at the receiving end whether file size is increasing while running ftp

Also Can you check by doing "bin" before get/put command

-USA..
Good Luck..
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Looks like FTPD is having a problem when it tries to STOR(e) the file named cvfcusti.

Could they be trying to store the file in a directory where they do not have permission?

Where does FTPD store the files by default? Is that directory allowing them to write? Are they doing a CD once they logon? To what directory? What permissions do they have in the new directory. Finally are they trying to give the fullpath for the file when they do a PUT?

Can you ftp into your own machine and try the same thing?

Ron
Richard Darling
Trusted Contributor

Uday,
The files are less than 2kb. The files are ASCII.
Ron,
The user is able to ftp some files, but not this one. Therefore, I don't think it is a permissions issue. It appears that the prcoess hangs. They are getting "disconnected by remote host" on my server, but when I grep for ftp I get the output I was showing in the intital post of this thread. It appears that the process is hanging.

I setup my ftpaccess file with:
upload /home/brooks /incoming yes
and

guestgroup ftponly

I put the user in that group and

I then setup a link in the /home/brooks directory:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root sys 12 Jan 24 10:25 incoming -> /home/ftpd
ir

Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Have they tried changing the mode to binary before sending the file? Could be some corruption in the file.

Ron
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Richard,

What you are getting is probably this on the clint side,

Error: 451 Requested action aborted: local error: STOR

The reason could be

//Quote//

Anything that can cause the file system to return an error can potential cause of these type of errors from FTP. For example: 1) Hardware problems causing file system errors. 2) OS problems causing file system errors. 3) The requested files may be locked by another process and therefore are inaccessible. All these types of issues cause the OS to report a problem to ftp server. ftp server then reports these types of failures simply as a "local error" or "server error".

//EndQuote//

Hope this helps.

Regds
Richard Darling
Trusted Contributor

Hi Ron,
I'll give that a try in the AM when they get in and post the results tomorrow. However, I know that it is an ASCII file they are creating and the other files are transferring OK.
RD
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

It seems to me that if they can get other files to go through that there must be something odd about this one. Is it just this one or does it happen fairly often?

They might also try to gzip the file before sending it. Will definitely need binary mode if they do.

Ron
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Make sure that the user has:

1. Checked the size of the file to be transferred. If it is larger than 2Gb, then the destination must be verified as largefile-capable before trying the transfer.

2. Checked the amount of space available on the destination disk.

As a good practice, never use a simple put or get with one parameter. put and get have 2 parameters, source and destination. Always use full pathnames starting with / as in:

put /etc/profile /tmp/myprofile

Relying on the ftp commands cd and lcd can lead to unexpected transfer locations. Connection can be closed due to permission problems on either end...both ends must allow the transfer. Is the user's machine a PC? Are they using a 'real' ftp at the DOS command line or some Window program? What are the limitations of the Windows program? Ore simply use ftp at the DOS prompt.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
K.Vijayaragavan.
Respected Contributor

As you are able to do ftp for other files and you are facing problem in moving this file alone,

You may have to consider these points,

What happens if you try "rcp" to copy the same files?

what happens if you copy the same file to some other folder in the same system?

-Vijay
"Let us fine tune our knowledge together"