1753774 Members
6784 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

problems with /net filesystem

Kent A. Dekker
Occasional Advisor

problems with /net filesystem

All ls -[ ] fails on root. Terminal window locks up. ls commands fine on all other directories. ls -d works on all root filesystems except /net (terminal locks up). getacl on /net locks up too. Have another system like this one working fine. automounter on both using /etc/auto_master and both identical with /net -hosts -nosuid,soft so not thinking that is problem. Anyone had this problem b4?
5 REPLIES 5
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Re: problems with /net filesystem

Kent,
stop the nfs system. /net is normally exported. By stopping the export you can verify the integrity of the root disk. Once you are happy with that part, start the nfs system back up and export /net.

If you find the asnwer to be helpful, please see:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33
Mark Ellzey
Valued Contributor

Kent,

I've found that this problem is almost always related to host name resolution. Check your /etc/nsswitch.conf, /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/host files for the proper entries.

On my systems, I usually put any NFS hosts in the /etc/hosts files, just to be sure that the name can be resolved. Then I set up my nsswitch.conf file something like this:
hosts: nis [NOTFOUND=continue] files
-or-
hosts: dns [NOTFOUND=continue] files

The other alternative is a duplex mismatch on the switch port. You may want to consult with your network guys to make sure the port and the lan card are using the same settings.

Regards,
Mark
Kent A. Dekker
Occasional Advisor

Thanks to both. I was also thinking in terms of the NFS restart and suggested that to the production support group. They are looking into doing that this evening. They were wanting to do a reboot at HP's suggestion but might try the NFS restart first and see if that clears. I have seen other indications of a possible stale NFS handle.

I did already check into the nsswitch.conf issue and all is fine there. We don't do any NFS on these servers except an old NFS from an install group from when the servers were set up about a month or so back.

I will update later with whether the NFS resart cleared or a reboot was required. It will take place around 9 PM CT.

Regards, Kent
Kent A. Dekker
Occasional Advisor

The prod support group was unable to stop/restart NFS services. They were having problems with the HA package. A reboot of the server cleared the problem. Thanks for the replies.
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Kent,
thanks for the update! Could you now please award points to the answers and close the thread.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33