1756007 Members
3177 Online
108839 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: "Cannot find per display information" , when using Reflection X

Horia Chirculescu
Honored Contributor

>There is a firewall on the Windows system.

>I believe I am unable to Ping my windows >system from the HP-UX box. Something on the >gateway is preventing the forward of >packets to my system.

>I believe someone here should help me solve >this in the next couple of days.

>@Horia

>I am able to telnet from the Windows system >to the Windows system [Local-Local].
>I get an empty screen though. But no >connection failures.

-------------

>Thank all those who helped me out. Looks >like a connection issue between the two >boxes.

#######################################

It "looks like a connection issue between"... or your windows firewall denies connections to port 6000. Add an exception.

You can test of course using the same procedure (telnet) from HP-UX. If this is not working, check the firewall from Windows(disable temporary until you will add the exception), check any firewall between HP-UX and Windows. If you have a firewall between HP-UX and Windows and you can not manage it (it is not yours/etc...) you should implement a VPN between those using an open port in the firewall.

Best regards,
Horia.
Best regards from Romania,
Horia.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Xwindows is often blocked by netywork administrators as it is not a secure protocol. However, you don't need an Xserver running on your HP-UX system at all unless youabsolutely want to replace your PC desktop with the CDE desktop from HP-UX. This is what Reflection/X does out of the box when you use one of the connection dialogs.

After you install Reflection/X, run the optimizer then configure Reflection/X to start minimized. Now the Xwindow emulator is running on your PC and you can start an X application. Just ssh (or telnet) to the HP-UX box, then run xclock like this:

export DISPLAY=:0.0
/usr/bin/X11/xclock &

This should pop up the xclock window on your PC (it might start minimized). This all assumes that ssh or telnet to the HP-UX box works OK and that Xwindow ports are not blocked on your network routers.

Once xclock runs OK (and you really want all that CDE stuff on your desktop) you can configure CDE. NOTE: CDE desktop utilities may not have been installed automatically as they were on previous versions of HP-UX. Use your Install DVD to add the CDE code to your system.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> [...] you don't need an Xserver running on
> your HP-UX system at all unless you
> absolutely want to replace your PC desktop
> with the CDE desktop from HP-UX. [...]

You don't need an X server running on your
HP-UX system unless you have
keyboard-pointer-graphics hardware on your
HP-UX system. An X server is the thing with