108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

rexec acts as break in ksh while loop?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ryan Kogelheide
Frequent Advisor

rexec acts as break in ksh while loop?

This is probably a simple one. I have three ksh shell scripts. The first is a loop that scans a list of nodes using while and calls the second with the node as the parameter.

The second says if the node is hostname, execute the third shell script using ksh -c, otherwise execute it on the remote node using rexec.

The loop continues working until it reaches a remote node. It executes the script on the remote node, but then the loop exits.
4 REPLIES 4
Steven Sim Kok Leong
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: rexec acts as break in ksh while loop?

Hi,

Prefer a for loop to a while loop.

first.sh:

#!/sbin/sh
for node in `cat nodelist`
do
second.sh $node
if [ -e /tmp/foundit ]
then
rm -f /tmp/foundit
exit 0
fi
done

second.sh:

#!/sbin/sh
if [ "$1" != "`hostname`" ]
then
rexec $1 third.sh
touch /tmp/foundit
else
ksh -c third.sh
fi

Hope this helps. Regards.

Steven Sim Kok Leong
Ryan Kogelheide
Frequent Advisor

That seems to do the trick. Can you tell me why "for" works and "while" does not?
Robin Wakefield
Honored Contributor

Hi Ryan,

With while loops, any remsh/rexec calls within the loop need to use the -n switch - here's the man entry to explain:

===================
By default, remsh reads its standard input and sends it to the remote command because remsh has no way to determine whether the remote command requires input. The -n option redirects standard input to remsh from /dev/null. This is useful when running a shell script containing a remsh command, since otherwise remsh may use input not intended for it.
===================

Because "while" uses read, but "for" doesn't, this hopefully explains the difference.

Rgds, Robin
Ryan Kogelheide
Frequent Advisor

Woohoo!

That explains another problem I was having. (the -n)