Operating System - HP-UX
1757084 Members
2552 Online
108858 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

sendmail connection timed out for a relay.. deferred, next time send, using different relay

SOLVED
Go to solution
IT-CRSAGLOBAL
Occasional Visitor

sendmail connection timed out for a relay.. deferred, next time send, using different relay

We are having some issues with sendmail when there is an issue with in the first attempt to send a mail.

Sometimes we have an issue where the SMTP relay connection is timed out

I can see this message in the log
In the maillog it shows the stat of "Deferred"
I can then track this amil message from the unique identifier (it will be the same identifier used to find the files in /etc/spool/mqueue)

The next time I see this identifier, the amil is tried again to be sent... BUT.... this time a different SMTP relay is being used..

I have checked the /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file, and we only have 1 relay defined in there.

The deferred relay that is being used is our OLD one, which is not longer valid.

I am not sure where else I can look or what else I can do to fix so that when the message is attempted to be re-sent, it will use the correct relay.

2 REPLIES 2
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: sendmail connection timed out for a relay.. deferred, next time send, using different relay

>>> I have checked the /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file, and we only have 1 relay defined in there.
>>>The deferred relay that is being used is our OLD one, which is not longer valid.

Do you have the correct relay listed in the sendmail.cf file?
If sendmail is using the old one, have you restarted sendmail?
The changes will not take effect until sendmail re-reads sendmail.cf.

/sbin/init.d/sendmail stop
/sbin/init.d/sendmail start

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
IT-CRSAGLOBAL
Occasional Visitor
Solution

Re: sendmail connection timed out for a relay.. deferred, next time send, using different relay

Thank you for the reply

Turns out what I was doing was working.  

Thank you for the response