5473 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

swinstall problem

FrAnK
Advisor

swinstall problem

Hello,

I am trying to install B6848AB.depot (GTK) and someother softwares which are located under /var/spool/sw directory.
whenever I run "swinstall -s /var/spool/sw/B6848AB.depot" command, it opens the window for SD install and at the bottom it says "(/) Contacting the target...".

After a while following window pops up:

Select Target Path (hp03)

Target Host: hp03
[ Root path... ] /__________________________

[Ok] [Cancel] [Help]

I selected OK, and then

Error (hp03)

A Remote Procedure Call to a daemon has failed. Could not start a management session for "hp03:/". Make sure the host is accessible from the network, and that its daemon, swagentd, is running.

[[ OK ]]

by entering at "OK" it brings back the same window as I mentioned earlier "Select Target Path (hp03)" by selecting "Cancel" it brings back the main "SD Insall window" and at the bottom it says "(/) Reading the software source...."
and then following message comes up.

Error hp03

A Remote Procedure Call to a daemon has failed. Could not start a management session for "hp03:/var/spool/sw/B6848AB.depot". Make sure the host is accessible from the network, and that its daemon, swagentd, is running. [[ OK ]]

selected OK and then the following message:

Specify Source (hp03)

Specify the source type, then host name, then path on that host.
Source Depot Type:[ Local CDROM] ->] [ Find Local CD ]
[ Source Host Name... ]
[ Source Depot Path... ]
Working...

after a while following error comes up

Error (hp03)

A Remote Procedure Call to a daemon has failed. Could not start a ???? ??
???????????? management session for "hp03:". Make sure the host is accessible from the network, and that its daemon, swagentd, is running.

[[ OK ]]

Selecting OK takes back to "SD Install" window
with no activity.

it is happening with any softwares I m trying to install. what should I do guys to solve this problem.

Frank

15 REPLIES 15
twang
Honored Contributor

Re: swinstall problem

First of all, try to issue this command and see if it works:
# swinstall -s :/var/spool/sw/B6848AB.depot
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Try,

swinstall B6848AB

as the SW is in the default location

-Karthik
For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

check your hostsname/ipadres in the /etc/hosts file.

Date: 5/29/03
Document description: RPC exception error during patch installation
Document id: KBRC00012550

http://www5.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000068695551

Hope it helps,

Robert-Jan.
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

The first thing to is check name resolution. If that is okay, restart the swagent.

# /sbin/init.d/swagentd stop
# /sbin/init.d/swagentd start

Re-run the swinstall using this:

# swinstall -s :/var/spool/sw/B6848AB.depot \*
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
FrAnK
Advisor

Hi

Thanks, there was error in /etc/hosts file
which is fixed. There are two network card in server with different IP address and same host name. I removed the entry from /etc/hosts file of the card which is disabled.

Now if i run "swinstall -s /var/spool/sw/B6835AA.depot" SD Install window open and I get the following message:

Note (hp03)

Currently, there are no products on this source which are compatible with the target. Therefore, no products are shown.

[[ OK ]]

Same error is coming for any other software I m trying to install.

If I want to remove the software to reinstall, analysis fails and gives the following message.

The target "hp03:/" failed Analysis, so the task cannot be executed. For more information on this failure, press the "Logfile ..." button.

[[ OK ]]

Logfile shows the following:
====== 08/16/03 09:47:42 EDT BEGIN remove AGENT SESSION (pid=2085)
* Agent session started for user "root@hp03". (pid=2085)
* Beginning Analysis Phase.
* Target: hp03:/
* Target logfile: Hp03:/var/adm/sw/swagent.log
* Reading source for file information.
NOTE: The command "/etc/mount" exited with a status code of "1". The following is the output from the command: mount: /dev/vg00/lvol8 is already mounted on /var
mount: /dev/vg00/lvol7 is already mounted on /usr
mount: /dev/vg00/lvol6 is already mounted on /opt
mount: /dev/vg00/lvol5 is already mounted on /home
mount: /dev/vg00/lvol4 is already mounted on /tmp
mount: /dev/vg00/lvol1 is already mounted on /stand
NOTE: End of command output. Non-zero exit status may or may not be a failure. Look for additional messages.
ERROR: The /lib directory is on a mounted volume. Cannot install software unless /lib is on the root volume, due to shared libraries. (They reside in /lib, and must be present for most HP-UX commands to run.)
ERROR: Cannot continue the Analysis Phase until the previous errors are corrected.

I can't even Install or remove the software, as you can tell I am in learing process and practicing for software install and remove.
Thanks.

Frank
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Frank,

According to that output, the first msg makes the second moot.

First one says, basically, there are no products that *need* to be installed. Which means either those products are there already or you have nothing on the system that could be updated by it.

The second says you have mount abnormalities - this *could* be a problem down the road & needs to be investigated.

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Frank,

Sorry, I missed the key sentence in your last post i.e. you were trying to remove....
Well IF you want to practice then there's no need to remove. All you need do is tell SD that you wish to *force* reinstall.
In GUI, pull down Options & click reinstall options or on command line use -x reinstall=true or reinstall_files=true.
BUT the err msg is stating that you have a mount issue so you need to use -x mount_all_filesystems=false in the coammnd line or as an option in the GUI as well.

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

As you have seen, swinstall depends on a valid network setup. Rather than use swinstall first, I would use swlist to see if the depot is valid and what the depot actually contains:

swlist -l product -s /var/spool/sw/B6848AB.depot

To avoid using the interactive form of swinstall, just add the product name (use \* to select all products in the depot) and for a re-install add -x reinstall=true as in:

swlist -l product -x reinstall=true -s /var/spool/sw/B6848AB.depot \*

This will run everything automnatically and log the results.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Jimmy Roux_1
Advisor

FrAnK,

Did you get a resolution to your problem?

Jimmy