Operating System - HP-UX
1752794 Members
6113 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: /tmp directory extension help needed!!!!

SOLVED
Go to solution
Horia Chirculescu
Honored Contributor

Would be better to shutdown and reboot into single user mode in order to extend that file system (another process could need access to the /tmp filesystem just afther you have killed all the daemons have files in use)

Horia.
Best regards from Romania,
Horia.
Zishan
Regular Advisor

Hello Horia,
Would you like me to tell me commands ?

Regards,
Horia Chirculescu
Honored Contributor

In order to list open files that resides on /tmp file system, you can use:

lsof |grep /tmp

A lot of daemons have sockets that are located on /tmp. So you must log in single user mode (hpux -is at ISL prompt).

Horia.
Horia.
Horia Chirculescu
Honored Contributor

>Would you like me to tell me commands

You must restart the server. Stop first the running applications!

Reboot.
At the prompt press any key with 10 sec / Press a key

: bo pri
Interact with IPL : Y
hpux -is

Then, when the server is up,

mount /usr
lvextend -L 500 /dev/vg00/lvol4
extendfs -F vxfs /dev/vg00/rlvol4

(
if can not be found the executables, then run those with absolute path:

/usr/sbin/lvextend ...
/usr/sbin/extendfs ...

)
Restart again and boot normally.

Horia.
Horia.
Zishan
Regular Advisor

Horia,
I am using my server remotely (through telnet). How can I press into this.

Regards,
Horia Chirculescu
Honored Contributor

>I am using my server remotely (through telnet). How can I press into this.

Well, you life just got complicated if you do not have MP access. (Does those words tell anything to you: MP access, iLO access?).

If you can establish a MP connection, you can go forward, but if not, you must get physical access to the server.

There is another way but I am not sure you can install onlineJFS.

According to:

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=B3929CA

This is for HP_UX 11.11 only and it is not free.

Horia.
Horia.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Single user mode requires access to the console. Your server's console port must be connected and configured to a LAN in order to work in single user mode. If you are not located close to the server (and the console is not connected), someone will have to perform the steps on the computer on your behalf.

Assuming that the server was not set up for remote management, there are a number of steps that will have to be done. There are two methods:

1. In the computer room, find a terminal with the proper null-modem cable and connect the terminal to the console port of the server. Or someone can bring in a laptop (older model that has a real serial port, or a laptop with a USB to serial converter) and connect to the console port. There are a bit more details that depend on what model of HP server you have.

2. Once connected to the serial port, set the terminal or laptop to 9600/8/N/1 and type CTRL-b to set the maintenance processor's prompt. Now you can see and set the console port's IP address, subnet and gateway values.

3. Connect the console LAN port to the network, ideally a special network reserved for maintenance (to improve security). Then test that the settings work by accessing the console port remotely.

Once you can connect to the console, you'll need to read a bit about the console commands to leave the processor maintenance processor and connect to the HP-UX console. The details depend on the model of your server. Now you are ready to shutdown and reboot into single user mode.

Or as mentioned above, you can stop all the applications and use fuser to find all the open files and terminate the processes that use them. Once that is done, you can umount /tmp, use lvextend followed by extendfs (on the raw lvol) and then mount /tmp.

Note that none of this required if you had purchased the OnlineJFS product which allow resizing of /tmp without single user mode.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Zishan
Regular Advisor

I have MP access and I am on "[mphost] MP>" now pls tell me what shall I do next (which command)

Regards,
Horia Chirculescu
Honored Contributor

>I have MP access and I am on "[mphost] MP>" now pls tell me what shall I do next (which command)

Good.

You must access the console. Do it by issuing

co

command.

Login then stop your application.

Then restart your server (shutdown -r -y 0).

After that you must perform the steps from above (At the prompt press any key with 10 sec / Press a key... and so on...)

And read the docs/help related to MP commands! You will need this info for the future.

Horia.
Horia.
Zishan
Regular Advisor

Hello,

I am unable to commecnt with CO. Invalid login in password. The username password of MP and CO are not the same ??? Is there any default password for CO?

Regards,