1748201 Members
3085 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: xfs crashing

Steve_160
Frequent Advisor

xfs crashing

I installed Fedora Core 5 on one machine a few days ago. Everything has been going well until today. I rebooted the machine and when it came up I couldn't start Xserver. I didn't copy that message, but it relates to fonts. (I've seen it before: It usually means xfs isn't running.) What I found is that whenever I start Xserver, xfs crashes with this message:

xfs: symbol lookup error: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXfont.so.1 : undefined symbol: inflateInit2_

What should I do next? Nothing has changed in xorg.conf--I have a backup copy to diff. Maybe libXfont.so.1 is corrupted, but I don't have another machine running FC5 to compare it to. Could it be a problem in some other configuration table?
#@%!! Windows!
7 REPLIES 7
Sung Oh
Respected Contributor

Hi Steve,

Try to create symbolic link to X16R6 from X16R7.

# mkdir -p /usr/X11R6/lib/X11
# cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11
# ln -s ../../../../etc/X11/fs
# ln -s ../../../share/X11/fonts

Regards,
Sung
Vitaly Karasik_1
Honored Contributor

1) do you have free space? - "df"
2) check new files under /etc

find /etc -mtime -7
Steve_160
Frequent Advisor

If I got it right, here are the links I ended up with:

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 May 21 13:46 fonts -> /usr/share/X11/fonts
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 May 21 13:47 fs -> /etc/X11/fs

The directory /usr/X11R6/lib/X11 already existed. However I still get the same error.

It will take awhile to go through the modified files since it's a new installation. I set the hardware clock back a year before I started for this reason, but there are still a lot of expected configuration changes since it came up and reset the clock.
#@%!! Windows!
Vitaly Karasik_1
Honored Contributor

Anyway - if something worked well and doesn't work now, I suspect some changes in s/w and/or config.

So we can or try to locate these changes (rpm -V or by timestamps), or reinstall xorg-x11-* packages.
dirk dierickx
Honored Contributor

you should be able to go on without xfs. X has it's own font handeling in case there is no font server available.

Section "Files"
FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/misc"
FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/Type1"
FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/CID"
FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi"
FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi"
EndSection

above are my fontpatch settings, as you can see, it uses no font server, give that a try.
Steve_160
Frequent Advisor

Dirk--That took care of it. I also had to comment out "FontPath unix/:7100" to get it to work.

Vitaly--I didn't mean to ignore your first question. There is 4 gig free, and there no changed files that I didn't expect.
#@%!! Windows!
Steve_160
Frequent Advisor

Working now.
#@%!! Windows!