2315 Online
108843 Solutions
New Discussion

p405 matrix printer

Jorge Pons
Trusted Contributor

p405 matrix printer

Hi
Anybody knows what setup_file I must put in npconfig.pub.sys for a p405 matrix printer? Is supported p405 as network printer?

I have this printer as serial and works ok, but as network printer doesn??t work fine.

Thanks
1 REPLY 1
Eric Sorensen_1
Honored Contributor

Re: p405 matrix printer

Hello Jorge,

Setup_files are not required. Setup_files do nothing except define the format of the output on the printer, with PCL or PJL codes. Setup_files cannot affect the communication between the host and the printer.

The original version of the P405 did not support PJL, and therfore cannot be used with the MPE network spooler. A later version might have the ability to use PJL, but no version of the P405 is supported as a network printer with MPE.

If you are using a JetDirect network interface, then I suggest you try this configuration in NPCONFIG:

19 (network_address = x.x.x.x
pjl_supported = false
setup_file = blank.pub.sys)

Note: create an empty (blank) file and use that as the setup_file. This will disable the MPE network spooler's default initialization (normally the spooler sends 16 PCL commands to the printer, and many of those commands are not appropriate for a lineprinter).

After making changes to NPCONFIG, restart the spooler. If the printer does not work, or if it prints "12345X" then the printer does not support PJL, and it will not work with the MPE network spooler. You have then only two choices: use a third-party spooler (i.e. NBSpool from Quest), or use the printer's serial interface connected to a DTC.
A problem well defined is half solved.