1745856 Members
4552 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Memory incompatibility on L3000??

Norman Dignard
Regular Advisor

Memory incompatibility on L3000??

We have an L3000 and at time of purchace several years ago we opted to install 8 GB of Kingston memory (KTH-LSVR/2024 (1GB pairs) in lieu of the much pricer HP memory. (STM reports the memory as A5864 DIMM 1024 sticks)

I need to increase the memory so we bought an additional 8 GB of HP memory A6115-60002 and an extender board from a reseller.

On bootup got a memory error mesg that required to be ok'ed before the system would start. Something about memory has changed, some performance degraditon may occur, read the manual... (don't totally recall the mesg). After the ok, the system started, in loading the PDQ saw that the system reported the 16 gigs, all the memory tests passed and the system booted up. It stayed up for perhaps a minute then all the services started shutdown.
Did a reboot, did not get the memory mesg as in the first boot, but the system would not stay up. As this was a production box, I had to pull the memory to get the system back up.

Is there a compatability problem with HP and non-hp memory? Did I miss something in adding more memory to the box?

Is there a memory
5 REPLIES 5
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: Memory incompatibility on L3000??

Was the memory installed correctly? i.e. The largest dimms in the lowest numbered slots?

Pete

Pete
Norman Dignard
Regular Advisor

They are all 1GB sticks which fills all 8 banks in the memory extenders. Installation is kind of idiot proof in this situation don't you think?
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Yes, I do. That's just the most common cause that I'm aware of so it had to be asked.

The only thing I can think of at this point is that "some" of your "new" hp memory is bad. Try installing one pair at a time.

Pete

Pete
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

If all DIMMS are equal in size, you need to distribute them over all extenders.

IIRC some DIMM types may have a different timing, a firmware update was needed to accept this. What is your firmware?

You see this on top of the boot menu message.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Norman Dignard
Regular Advisor

The system fw is 43.43
I have 2 memory extender boards, both are fully filled - 1 extender has 8- 1GB kingston DIMM sticks, the other has 8 1GB HP DIMMS.