108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Moving Server

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Peace
Frequent Advisor

Moving Server

We are moving our server from US to Europe. IS there anything that needs to be done to ensure safe trip on plane? IS there a head park or anything. Are there any screws that can be tightened to help stabilize hardware? Any help would be appreciated.

K210
HPUX 11.0
6 REPLIES 6
Eddie Warren
Valued Contributor

Re: Moving Server

It would be a good idea to have your HP service Tech prep it for shipment. If going overseas you should make sure it is put in a wooden crate, secured to a palet. It would be a good idea once it arrives overseas before powering it up, have a service Tech
inspect it.
John Peace
Frequent Advisor

We have a quote for the tec to prep it, but they said we could just unplug it ourselves. Does anyone know what they do when they "PREP" it?
Brian M. Fisher
Honored Contributor

Whenever we move a server across the country we purchase a customized shipping crate for the entire cabinet. The last one we purchased, a 2 meter crate, from Cosmos Technology for $385. It is well worth the cost for the protection.

Brian
<*(((>< er
Perception IS Reality
Eddie Warren
Valued Contributor
Solution

When HP preps the system they are seperating cabinets (external array's), decabling. Insures all hardware is properly secured in the cabinets. disconnects console. Disconnects power. You could do all this yourself, just make sure it's crated properly for shipping. Hope this helps.

Eddie
Anthony Goonetilleke
Esteemed Contributor

The one important thing I was told about moving HP equipment still under support contract is that if HP do it everything is covered i.e damage, loss etc but if we do it will just make the sales people happy as they can sell us another box :-)
Minimum effort maximum output!
John Peace
Frequent Advisor

Thanks to everyone. I talked to an HP tech. he said basically the same thing Eddie said about prepping it. I will do it myself and also supervise crating. Our machine will be covered for any internal problems as long as no external damage is evident. Thanks again to all.