1755985 Members
4215 Online
108839 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

3PAR OS 3.2.1 to 3.2.2 MU6 Upgrade Problems

Joe Borgia
Occasional Advisor

3PAR OS 3.2.1 to 3.2.2 MU6 Upgrade Problems

From SP version 4.4 MU7, attempted to upgrade 3.2.1 MU2 to 3.2.2 MU6. The support matrix from SPOCK said I should be able to go directly there. Unfortunately, my customer let maintenance on this array lapse, so I have no support at the moment.

It's been sitting at "ping StoreServ state(5)" over and over for 686 minutes now (let it run all night long), with no sign of stopping. Almost like it's hung up. I can ping the admin interface, but I can't SSH to it or connect via SSMC or IMC. For a while, I couldn't even ping it. For some reason, it pings now. The storage seems to all be functioning still, but I cannot connect to either node. Not even from the serial ports. I get a login, but it doesn't recognize the 3paradm account. Before anyone asks, yes, the SP and the two storage nodes are all on the same VLAN. Everything could connect fine before the upgrade.

Interestingly enough, when I do connect to the serial port, it does tell me that the CLI version is 3.2.2, so something must have been successful. It's a little nerve wracking that I cannot login via serial with the 3paradm account.

Anyone ever seen anything like this before?

-----------------------
Sr. Systems Administrator
NCI, Inc
5 REPLIES 5
Paul28
HPE Pro

Re: 3PAR OS 3.2.1 to 3.2.2 MU6 Upgrade Problems

3.2.2 MU6 supports strong passwords. You may want to check the type of secure login if any are set.  You may type 'export_creds' at the node serial login prompt to verify. 

I'm an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

vibeesh1
HPE Pro

Hello Joe

When you say , you are unable to login via serial, did u check via IMC/SSMC with same 3paradm credential to check if it allows you to login ?

Yes, 3.2.2 uses strong Password either BLOB ot TOTP, however that should not affect the 3paradm login.

If you are able to login via IMC/DDMC with the same 3paradm credential, then it means that the credential is working. If still you are unable to Login  to the CLI, the first thing is to check if the upgrade went well and what does log says..then proceed accordingly.

I would sugges you to generate an Insplore and contact HPE suport team with the description to have a check on the Log and provide suggestion based on that

Thanks!

Accept or Kudo

Joe Borgia
Occasional Advisor

This ended up being some networking problem between the admin connections on the storage nodes. I was told (long ago) that these storage nodes were on the same VLAN but after some further cable tracing and review by one of our network engineers, it ended up that they were not on the same VLAN somehow. This was weird because it showed that both admin connections were connected.

-----------------------
Sr. Systems Administrator
NCI, Inc
vv4
Occasional Advisor

by the endя╝Мare you already solve this problem ? a few day ago , i am upgraded 3par8200 , old OS version:3.2.2(MU4) upgrade to 3.2.2(MU6)я╝Мand thenя╝МThe same problem occurredя╝Мuse "3paradm" cannot login to 3par CLI я╝Мbut ssmc and vsp can login in . have anyone can help me or give some suggestion? thanks

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @vv4,

Thank you for posting! Since you have posted in an old topic and there is no response yet, I would recommend you create a new topic using the create "New Discussion" button, so the experts can check and assist you further. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo