2700 Online
108844 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: 3PAR7200 interface card degraded

CRD
Frequent Advisor

3PAR7200 interface card degraded

Good  day

Has anybody experienced this issue before. 3PAR7200 cage2 interface card 1 degraded. Replaced the interface card, problem still persists.

admithw -checkonly says cage 2 firmware needs upgrade but if you run admithw it doesnt do it and it says cannot check cabling. There cant be a problem with the cabling as all was fine a week ago..

I also replaced the data cables at the back and made sure all is seated properly, no luck.

Also command upgradecage cage2 does not run.

cage2 degraded.PNG

10 REPLIES 10
sbhat09
HPE Pro

Hello,

What is the 3par OS version? When was the interface card degraded and when it was replaced?
Do you think of any reason (like physical damage or admin activities) in concurrence with degradation?

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

CRD
Frequent Advisor

Hi Srinivas
OS 322 MU4
Was replaced this morning
Unit is out of support with HPE
CRD
Frequent Advisor

No physical damage or admin changes.
sbhat09
HPE Pro

Hello,

I suspect the firmware mismatch between existing 3PAR OS and Interface card / cage firmware. Where the cage/interface card is on higher version in comparison with the 3par OS. You can validate that with the command ‘showversion -a -b’. Compare the version with rest of the cages.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

CRD
Frequent Advisor

Hi Srinivas

Thanks for the advice, I ran the command, here is the output. Can it possibly be a problem with the actual drive shelf midplane, you know where the IO module interface connects at the back. Because with the old and new interface card this power light does not light up like the other interface cards.

showversion -a -b.PNG

Power light.PNG

sbhat09
HPE Pro

Hello @CRD,

Firmware looks ok. The physical connection with loop A is not established. Can you please try to swap between loop B or try another spare interface card?

Regards,

Srinivas Bhat

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

veeyarvi
HPE Pro

Hi CRD,

The A side loop shows missing (and also the B side IFC not showing the firmware version). I assume the photo attached is for the IFC A and it has no power LED. It appears to be dead.

You can try swapping with another known good IFC from another cage  A side (DO NOT pull out any B side IFC). e.g. swap the IFCs between cage 1 and cage 2. If the IFC LED still not coming good, we are probably dealing with a midplane issue.

Regards, 

Veeyaarvi

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
CRD
Frequent Advisor

Hi Veeyaarvi

Thanks for your reply.  Yes i did take a new IFC to site and with the new IFC as well that power LED does not come on.

Im also suspecting a midplane issue.

veeyarvi
HPE Pro

Hi CRD,

The last option you may try is to do a power cycle of the cage but needs a down time

(i.e. the array has to be shutdown, remove power cables from the cage, wait for a while and insert the power cables back and start the array).

Still issue persists, the issue would be with the cage midplane.

Veeyaarvi

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo