2806 Online
108844 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

A2998A

SOLVED
Go to solution
David Reynolds_1

A2998A

A remote location in my co. has an A2998A rack mount 3KVA UPS surplus. They're not very technical and could not tell me much about it so that I can decide whether to think about getting it shipped here. I've got single phase input to feed it.
I've been around on the product site; no joy. Can anybody direct me to a quick product description? (Thanks to Paul Courry I can get a manual. Not ready for that yet though.)
5 REPLIES 5
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: A2998A

Hi:

Well, it's built like a tank and weighs 435lbs.
I doubt that you are going to able to find any software for a PC server if that is what you want. Of course, you could use it without any shutdown software or write your own.

The output is 240VAC 1PH only so that if you need to supply 120VAC loads, you will need to purchase a transformer.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
David Lieberman_1
Frequent Advisor
Solution

David,
The A2998A UPS description is available in the 11/99 HP9000 Enterprise Servers Configuration Guide (pp. 4-34 - 4-51). Hopefully someone you know has one. If you need it, I can fax you a few pages. Here's the basic description (paraphrased):

The A2998A is a 3.0-kVA rackmounted, line-interactive, OBSOLETE (no longer purchaseable), UPS. It requires 12 EIA units and weighs 435 lbs. Properly sized, it will provide at least 15-minutes of power. It includes a maintenance bypass switch to allow on-line replacement of the unit's electronics and batteries. RS-232 signalling is used to communicate with a single server. HP UPS Manager II sofware (supplied) allows integration into a more complex environment.

Input: 3-wire NEMA L6-30 connector, 200-240V.

Output: (1) IEC C19, 200-240V (plug a K580, T500, etc. directly into it...), and (1) NEMA L6-30 (North America) 200-240V for a Power Distribution Unit (PDU).

Two auxiliary batteries (included in weight) are daisy chained underneath the UPS.

You will need to order a PDU for the rack with a C19 or L6-30 plug. If I'm not mistaken, the standard PDUs come with a L5-20 (125v) or L6-20 (240v) plug. I'm pretty certain the part PDU is a A3765A-A5F (L6-30).

My experience has been that this unit is rugged and serves well if the power doesn't fluctuate all the time. Also, if it is relatively old, or has been sitting idle for a while, expect to replace the batteries.
If you have constant problems with brown-outs, a voltage regulating model like the A1356A PowerTrust II-LR may be a better choice since it is a double-conversion type.

Hope this helps,
David Lieberman
David Lieberman_1
Frequent Advisor

That was weird... my response was placed next to Sanjay's. Never have seen that before.
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

I'll try to add a post to kick it back in line...

reminds me of the old, scientist, mechanic, and computer engineer joke...

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)