108841 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

D Class I/O Card Slots

SOLVED
Go to solution
David Chau_2
Advisor

D Class I/O Card Slots

I want to install one more HSC SCSI card into my D380 server and just discover that I have no more slot for it. It looks like the only solution for me is to install the EISA SCSI card (still have 2 emty EISA slots).

Anybody knows what EISA SCSI card I should use and its part number? Do I have to configure the ESIA? If so, any related documents?

Thank you in advance.
5 REPLIES 5
gsb_2
Regular Advisor

Re: D Class I/O Card Slots

I think it is A2679A which is a single ended SCSI. I don't think EISA is supported on 11.0. The FWD SCSI A4107A was only made for HSC.
rick jones
Honored Contributor
Solution

EISA is supported in 11.0, but only if you are running a 32-bit kernel. If you are running a 64-bit kernel, no EISA support.

I think we only ever did SE SCSI and perhaps HVD SCSI in an EISA card, but for the life of me I cannot recall any of their part numbers.

Ostensibly, if they were supported on the D380 under 32-bit 11.0 they would appear in the old support matrix - perhaps that is still online at www.hp.com somewhere, or maybe in a web archive site somewhere.

there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

The only thing I can suggest is that if you are running any HSC network cards (J3515A or J3516A) that you could replace them with EISA (A3658A) network cards to free up the HSC slots. Be advised that the EISA network cards will only run at 100MiB/s half-duplex.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

FWIW, the fastest the EISA 100BT cards ever went (IIRC) was about 68-70 Mbit/s and that was with a heavy tail-wind.

If the reason a new SCSI card is desired is to add discs to the system to add storage capacity, perhaps "upgrading" some of the existing discs to larger capacity would achieve the desired result? Or attaching say an old HP AutoRAID 12H which IIRC would only "consume" one SCSI address but could hold a fairly large number of discs.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
David Chau_2
Advisor

I don't plan to swap the network card with an EISA card. Upgrading some of the disk to the lager GB is not an option either.

Attaching an AutoRaid 12H sounds like a good idea, however. I will consider this option since it takes only one SCSI address.

Thank you all.