1757331 Members
2989 Online
108860 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

I need Older HP fwd drives

Kenny_34
Occasional Advisor

I need Older HP fwd drives

I am looking for a qty on the older HP 9gb Fwd drives and the 18gb Fwd drives. I have tried to order these through hp and they dont make them anymore. I have also looked in the refurbished and used market and there is not much out there at a good price. I need to upgrade 9 K-boxes soon. If anyone has these lying around please let me know.
6 REPLIES 6
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: I need Older HP fwd drives

You would probably get more results if you bothered to identify the model numbers you are looking for -- or at least indicate if these are to be internal drives or those which are used in a JBOD (Jamaica) enclosure.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Kenny_34
Occasional Advisor

I am looking for these models

Internal drives for the K-Series server

A3629A 9GB FWD
A4909A 18GB FWD
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

In that case, let me suggest a Plan B. Why not use Jamaica enclosures rather than internal drives? I suspect that they will be much easier to find especially in the larger (9GB and 18GB) sizes that you are looking for. For example, I have used many K-boxes over the years and not one used internal drives because they were not hot-pluggable. For people who do not like to shutdown to do routine tasks like drive replacement, internal drives were never popular.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Kenny_34
Occasional Advisor

That is a good idea. But the systems managers dont want to go that route. I tried that already. They are dead set on upgrading the internal disk. I am just hoping someone around here may have some lying around that they would like to sale

Thanks for the suggestion.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

The Jamaice would actually be MUCH better for K boot disks. I've used them in the past and they work great. If you have a boot disk go bad it is MUCH easier to swap the disks out as you don't have to power the K down and take it apart to get to the disks.
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

The 18Gb ones are still available. You can order them as parts at a staggaring $4500 each.

Go to http://parts.hp.com . A4909-67002 is the part number for 18Gb drives for K-Class. If you are sending them back faulty 18Gb ones, then A4909-69002 is the replacement part number, which is cheaper.

Regarding 9Gb drives, they are not orderable anymore.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!