New Discussion юеВ

SCSI Question (old D350 Server)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Stefan Schulz
Honored Contributor

SCSI Question (old D350 Server)

Hi all,

i have an old D350 Server with two GSC add-on Fast/Wide SCSI Interface cards.

I also have two spare SCSI disks Seagate ST150176LC Part number SM2006-821

I would like to connect those disks to my D350 Server. But i have to reduce downtime. So i tried to test those disks on a old C100 workstaion. The workstation has also a build in GSC Fast/Wide SCSI Interface.

Unfortunately i could't get those disks to be recognized on my workstation. I connected this disk etxternal and internal using a SCSI adapter 80pol centronics to 68pol mini Sub D.

But during all tests the workstations search didn't find the disk.

Can anyone tell me if this disks will work on my D350? Did i make a mistake with the SCSI adapter? Are those disks incompatible with my workstations and servers SCSI adapter?

What can i do to configure this disks with my server?

Any help is really appreciated

Regards Stefan
No Mouse found. System halted. Press Mousebutton to continue.
2 REPLIES 2
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: SCSI Question (old D350 Server)

Hi Stefan,

The Seageat Model Number ST150176LC can be decoded acc to this page:

http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/howto/interpret_model.html

LC means it has a Low Voltage Differential Interface. This will definitely not work on a High Voltage Differential Interface. Unfortunately, there are no LVD Interfaces for the D-Class Servers available. The only possibility (of cause this is not supported with non-HP disks) would be to obtain a single ended SCSI interface and run the LVD disk in single ended mode (5 MB/sec, should autosense the bus mode), but this is not the best solution from a performance point of view. Another try could be an LVD to HVD converter box, but HP never tested this ...

I hope this helps

Stefan
Stefan Schulz
Honored Contributor

Re: SCSI Question (old D350 Server)

Hi Stefan,

thanks for your help.

I will try and find a LVD - HVD connector. But i am afraid this disk will be useless for me.

Regards Stefan
No Mouse found. System halted. Press Mousebutton to continue.