1754070 Members
3379 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Where/How to route the cable?

Peter Ko_2
Frequent Advisor

Where/How to route the cable?

I got a brand new HP9000 rp3440 with Smart Array 6402 RAID Controller. I am configure this with RAID 5. I am guessing i need to reoute the scsi cables (ChannelA and ChannelB) to the Smart Array controller(correct me if i am wrong on this). The problem I am having is there is NOT enough room to re-route the cable to the controller.
Question is: Is this supposed to come with a new thinner cable that probably didn't come with my shipment OR i must route the cable with the exiting one..
Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Brian A. Scurlock_1
Frequent Advisor

I might be wront, but I think this smart array controller might only be supported on proliant hardware. Most people do LVM mirroring via Mirror Disk UX.

See link or attachment

Compatibility table

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/proliantstorage/arraycontrollers/compatability-matrix.pdf

You can do anything you set your mind to when you have vision, determination, and an endless supply of expendable labor.
Brian A. Scurlock_1
Frequent Advisor

Well it is definitely supported.
-Brian
http://docs.hp.com/en/J6369-90035/index.html
You can do anything you set your mind to when you have vision, determination, and an endless supply of expendable labor.
Sandy Chen
Honored Contributor

Hi Peter,

It should came with a new thinner cable. You didn't use the original cable from the rp3440.

http://docs.hp.com/en/5971-4280_2nd_ed/5971-4280-2nd-ed.pdf

Regards,
Sandy
I never think of the future. It comes soon enough.
Peter Ko_2
Frequent Advisor

thanks for the replies.
looks like i need the "thin" cable to connect between the drive and the controller.
Okay, this is probably what should have been my question in the first place.
I have three hard drives on this HP9000 rp3440 with a smart array controller 6402.
How should I set up for hard disk redundancy?
What is the best practice for the hardware I had?
I think i had two options: one is mirror; other is RAID 5. If it is mirror, do I still need the 6402 controller any more?
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi,

the document mentioned above should solve all your questions regarding cabeling etc.

My experience: install the card and the card cage first, then connect the cable to the disk backplane.

Be aware your 3 disks are on 2 channels.
You may use 2 disks on the SA for mirroring (make sense for non-HP-UX systems) and the second channel for external disks or both channels for the 3 disks and build a RAID 5.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!