108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: question about "off-brand" ram

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joe Robinson_2
Super Advisor

question about "off-brand" ram

I've been quoted some non-HP RAM at a substantial price break. Are there any known issues with running non-HP RAM (HP RP5450, 11.00)?
9 REPLIES 9
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

Have found that it is not as reliable plus, if HP finds out, kiss support goodbye.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

It depends on the RAM. I have used Kingston in some our servers without any problems.

What I have heard, though never experienced, is that if there is a question about the RAM, HP will recommend pulling out all non-HP RAM as a first step. If the issue then persists, they will pursue it.
Joe Robinson_2
Super Advisor

This will be for a system that was obtained for next to nothing; it is not under our maintenance "umbrella". I'm just curious if the system will have 'heartburn' while doing its system check when booting...
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

As long as it is compatible with the system, everything should run fine. I have not seen any glitches in the boot time memory checks due to non-HP RAM.
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor
Solution

The non-HP RAM will work fine. Have used the Kingston RAM in numerous servers (K, L, N, etc) with no apparent effects except that it produced more single bit errors and needed replacement more often. When this happened, we would determined which RAM was causing the problem - if it was HP ram we could remove non-HP RAM and call for support.

HP would not touch the system otherwise.
Jeff_Traigle
Honored Contributor

My experience is the same as Patrick's. Kingston RAM seems to be fine. Have used it in D-classes previously and using it in L-classes now. A coworker mentioned once about the L's being somewhat finicky at times about having non-HP RAM in the first slots of the banks. Might be the only gotcha you possibly could see to be aware of.
--
Jeff Traigle
Joe Robinson_2
Super Advisor

Thanks, guys. I appreciate your knowledge.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Non-HP RAM should never be purchased without a moneyback guarentee as well as lifetime replacement or something similar. Since the server is non-critical, you don't have to worry too much. RAM from reputable dealers, especially those vendors that have been around for a long time seems to work just fine. Note that HP will continue to support your machine but may request the removal of non-HP parts if the problem can be traced to those components. Some service engineers may be confused about this policy -- ask the HP service manager.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

I've seen where with Kingston memory, the system is "happier" (it boots) if the first pair of ram in each block is HP ram. I don't know why this is, but I've seen it.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett