HPE EVA Storage
1752577 Members
4902 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Commandview EVA running in guest OS

J. W. Hill

Commandview EVA running in guest OS

Is anyone running their Commandview in a virtual machine? I can get it going in my lab but not sure if I want to do it in production.
6 REPLIES 6
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Re: Commandview EVA running in guest OS

Hi,

CV version 9.2 and newer (9.2.1) are supported to run under virtual machine. Is is supported. Just check your version and go on...

Jan
J. W. Hill

I understand that it is supported, but ESX only allows the guest OS to see 1 path. This creates a problem if the one path the host allows the guest to see is connected to the slave controller. Also in my lab implementation I only see the one controller, CV does not cross the mirror port to see the other. So while it is "supported" the HP support team does not seem to be really comfortable with the implementation. So what I am asking are people doing this in their production environments and what the experience is like.
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello,
I did not test CV in ESX VM yet but will try.

Regarding path visibility - i do not understand your point. We use Eva6000 vith ESX 4u2, multipath set according HP best practises to RoundRobin with IO count=0. We always see 4 path unter ESX, 2 are active (paths to owning controller). Are you talking about visibility of lun presented to VM and visible from VM?

Jan
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

As far as I know, you need at least an EVA x400 with XCS V0953xxxx controller firmware.
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Ahh - I did noticed it supports only some Eva's...

Jan
J. W. Hill

Jan:

The pathing from the VM is single path at a time - ESX masks the other paths from the guest. When you test it you can run cvutil.exe paths and see what port you are connected to. Thanks for your feedback.