108852 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

EVA4100 Upgrade

SOLVED
Go to solution
Murena
Occasional Visitor

EVA4100 Upgrade

In an EVA4100 with 8x146GB HDD Starter kit.
Is it possible to add three new 300GB disk to the current group disk?
4 REPLIES 4
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: EVA4100 Upgrade

It is technically possible, but I don't think it make much sense for **normal** operation.

For example, assuming "single" for the so-called "protection level" (which is a virtualized form of spare disks), its reservation grows from 292 to 600 GigaBytes.

If the EVA has only VRAID-1 vdisks, using an odd number of disk drives results in the last disk being unused, because it has no "partner" for VRAID-1 data.

Over time (e.g. after a disk drive failure), the EVA can "marry" (define disk pairs for VRAID-1 data) larger and smaller disks. In that case the capacity of the larger disk gets 'lost'.

Disk drives are filled proportionally to the level of the disk group. If the disk group is 50% filled, a 146GByte disk has 73GB data, but a 300GB disk has 150GB data - which will draw more I/O to the larger disks.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

The short answer is yes.... assuming they are all the same type of disk (Fibre Channel vs. FATA). You can mix types...

Make sure you read and understand the previous post as well.

Adding 3 300GB drives will probably not increase your "usable" space by much... if any.

If your DG is at "double" protection, you will actually end up losing total available space since you now will need 4x300GB for reservation... instead of 4x146GB.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
B.K
Advisor

Yo cam mix match different capacity disks but yes you will not get the usable space too much.

In single protection you will loose
2x300GB

In double:
4x300GB
Murena
Occasional Visitor

Now I get it... Thank you everyone!!!