New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA4400

SOLVED
Go to solution
Xav0
Advisor

EVA4400

What about guys a question:

an EVA4400 that detects when a warming in the disk enclosures that makes the computer turns off or stays working?

tnks.
5 REPLIES 5
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

I don't know if it has changed in the current version (9.522) - I think not - but at least in one previous version the controllers did not really care when a disk enclosure reported overheating:
they just kept running, then the disk enclosure failed. Then the entire EVA failed, because data could not be flushed to the disks - surprise...
Xav0
Advisor

Is there any way to detect that an excess of heat in some enclousore EVA disk is turned off for security?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Yes, if the controllers are able to retain the event log in memory, they are sent to the CV-EVA management server and can be seen there.
Xav0
Advisor

Automatic somehow turn the EVA if something like this?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

You mean: Turn the EVA off?

From what I have seen, the controller firmware does not attempt to shutdown the whole system in the correct order (flush data to the disks, shutdown disk enclosures, then shutdown controllers) when just a disk enclosure is reporting an overheat.

Another problem I guess is that would mean the fans would go off, too. This will keep the heat inside the enclosures. It would be better if the fans kept running and just the electronics (as a source of heat) were shutdown.
I am afraid most systems are not built this way, because the designers expect that overheats are rare.