1756012 Members
4090 Online
108839 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA5000 drive failure protection level

Tim Killinger
Regular Advisor

EVA5000 drive failure protection level

EVA5000 with 2 shelves, 5 disks per shelf, all 72gb 15k drives, failure potection level set to 1. Total: 651 GB Allocated: 475 GB

After replacing a failed drive and rebalancing completed the drive now shows:

Requested level: Single
Actual level: None
(Requested level not available)

It says that it'll go to level 1 when enough space becomes available. Why would replacing the bad disks with a the same sized disk now not achieve a protection level of 1?

Thanks in advance!!!
7 REPLIES 7
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Could be a calculation error in the firmware - one would have to check on a number-of-blocks level.
On the other hand - I have seen that Compaq did deliver "72GB" disks with different number of available blocks!
But that would meant the disk group was _very_ full, was it?
Tim Killinger
Regular Advisor

Well, of the 651gb of total capacity, I have 475 used, or 176gb unallocated. I would think this would be enough if the level 1 requirement is 2xthe-largest-single disk.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Agree. I would try to change to level to none, wait an hour or so and then back to single.
If that does not help, restart the master controller.
Tim Killinger
Regular Advisor

I set it to 0 for an hour or so and when I set it back to 1 .... same prolem. Can you give me a rough idea as to how I go about resetting the master controller?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

"restart" = "reboot". Sorry, I don't have access to CV-EVA right now and can't tell what the button is labeled (I am fairly sure it says "restart"), but it is on the shutdown options.

If you can't identify the master controller - just reboot one of them and see if it fixes the problem. If not, reboot the other one.
Tim Killinger
Regular Advisor

If I do a "restart" from the front panel of one of the hsv110's, does the array continue service on the other hsv and not interupt service? (It probably does, but I'd just like be as sure as possible).
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Yes, affected virtual disks fail over to the other controller. The only problem is with single-pathed servers, but they won't survive a controller failure as well.