HPE EVA Storage
1755744 Members
2669 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: I have 32 ports brocade switch, the switch gets reboot when add licenses for additonal ports?

Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

I have 32 ports brocade switch, the switch gets reboot when add licenses for additonal ports?

and please let me know steps.

Thanks so much!
none
5 REPLIES 5
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: I have 32 ports brocade switch, the switch gets reboot when add licenses for additonal ports?

The switch should not reboot when you add a port license.

On the Switch Admin page, there is a license tab. From there, you can add your license once you register it at the license website.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

I am getting different feelings, some said the switch will gets reboot, others said not. I am kind of confused...
none
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Which Switch model are we talking about? a 2/32? a 4/32? something different?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

we have 2 type of switches in house,
4/32 32 ports and 4/8 16 ports switch. The same concern on both type of switches.

Thanks,
none
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
this is the abstract from the Brocade command reference guide (licenseadd command)

USUALY
After you enter a license, the licensed product is available immediately and the system does not
need to be rebooted.

EXCEPTIONS
An exception to this general handling is that the switch must be rebooted if a
fabric license is added to a switch that lacks a fabric license. In this case, the switch must be
rebooted to allow the software to recognize the license and initialize itself correctly.
Also, there is special handling required when a trunking license is added to the switch. For a
trunking license to become effective, the trunk ports need to be refreshed using the commands
portDisable and portEnable or the switch must be refreshed using the commands switchDisable
and switchEnable.
the pain is one part of the reality