1755716 Members
2918 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA 1000 on FC Switch Brocade 300

Olaf Hahn

MSA 1000 on FC Switch Brocade 300

Hello,
we want to connect our MSA1000 to a FC Switch Brocade 300, cause we want to use this device a lttle longer - but is it possible? And what we have to configure then?

Thanks for all opinions.

O. Hahn
4 REPLIES 4
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hey, this is possible - I've helped people do it a couple of times.

On the MSA1000 - do you have the embedded SAN-switches? The 8 port variant? What Brocade FOS do you have on that one?

A Brocade 300 is that an HP 8/24 or 8/8.
Do you have an HP branded or a pure Brocade?
If it's a pure Brocade then some of the default settings (for example fabric.ops) may be different than on an HP switch.

If you don't have the embedded SAN switch then you should be able to just plug it into the SAN-switch.

If you do have the SAN-switch, you need to create an ISL. You need to make sure that you run a supported firmware mix (see the release notes of the FOS you run on the Brocade 300 - this will tell you which FOS version on the MSA1000 that works with the 300.

But in 6.4.1 it says you need to have 3.2.1c on the MSA SAN switch.

You also need to make sure some other stuff are the same (fabric.ops part in 'configshow', port configurations in 'portcfgshow', default zoning, probably more). One way to do it would probably be to clear the config on one of the switches and then connect it - hopefully they will match and merge :s

If you connect them and they don't match, you will see in 'switchshow' (on at least one of the switches) and errdump/errshow why they did not merge.
Olaf Hahn

Thank you very much for answering so quick and complete. We will try that!
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

No problem Olaf, if you have any more questions just post in this thread - I'll keep it on notification.

And if you want to you can give points to posts in your thread ;)
Olaf Hahn

Ooops - I thougt, i├В┬┤ve done that....sorry, next time!