1988 Online
108858 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Raid0 on EVA disk firmware update

WilliamSmith11
Super Advisor

Raid0 on EVA disk firmware update

Hi
I have some raid0 configured on a single diskgroup that have 64 disk drive.

How I do to make a firmware update if the process is aborted cause there are RAID0 configured.

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=3302272&swItem=co-71198-1&prodNameId=3664761&swEnvOID=54&swLang=13&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=0

See Installation instructions>Important:Disk drives that are part of a disk group which contain Vraid0 virtual disks cannot be upgraded using this process. These disk drives must be ungrouped from the disk group before being upgraded.

How I do ,
Locate the Vdisk and see whitch disk drive are on with amber led?.

If there are several raid0 maybe all disk drive are compromise ! or not?.

There is an offline procedure to apply firmware update like was done in the first times?

Regards

W.S
rperez
7 REPLIES 7
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

You cannot [Locate] a vdisk's disk drives like on the old HSG (e.g. LOCATE D5). Even if you have a single VDISK with VRAID-0 data, it is striped across ALL disk drives within a disk group anyway - I am sure if you go through the table it will have all disk drives of the disk group tagged. So you can use [Locate] on the disk group instead to identify the disk drive physical locations.

I have not heard that the old 'bulk load images' are still made available, you it is certainly a good idea to ask anyway.
WilliamSmith11
Super Advisor

So whitch will be procedure to update de disk firmware in this disk group with several raid0 configured?

Ideas are welcomes.
rperez
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,
As I think you have already identified, it is not possible to upgrade any disks in a disk group that have a Vraid0 disk in them.
Therefore, use the online disk update feature and then when you get to the screen that shows you which disks require a code load,use the "save to file" tab to create a list of all the disks.
Now you will need to ungroup each disk drive from a disk group (just do one disk at a time and code load it using the list as a guide) and when the drive is ungrouped you can code load it. Now put that disk back into the disk group it came from and select the next disk you wish to ungroup. This may take a while depending on how many disks you have to manually upgrade and assuming that you have enough space in a disk group to ungroup a disk in the first place.
Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I've picked up a note that SSSU does not check for VRAID-0 data and just goes ahead with the firmware upgrade. Of course, if something goes wrong you will lose data, but I guess you've selected VRAID-0 for a reason.
WilliamSmith11
Super Advisor

The customer has not enought disk space when he configured the raid0.

Now he do.

But as you say, the Raid0 (8raid0 in the customer configuration) are accross all the disks in the disk group.

May you please formware the information about how to do it with SSSU?

W.S
rperez
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,
If the customer now has sufficient spare capacity in his disk group then it would be *SAFER* to ungroup ONE disk at a time, code load, put disk back into disk group.
Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

William,

in CV-EVA V9 it is done with the "CODELOAD DISK" command.