HPE EVA Storage
1756777 Members
2008 Online
108852 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Storage Network set up f

Storage Network set up f

I am looking for a document to show me a step by step configuration of an HP EVA 4400 storage network.
The environment consists of an C7000 enclosure with half and full length blades, two interconnect switches connecting to two brocade switches. I am having problems figuring out how to connect it all together to have evrything redundant (multipathing).

Thanks
24 REPLIES 24
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You basically have 2 SANs. Each server blade connects to both SANs via the 2 brocade switches. Same for the EVA. First you show create a zone on the switch to make the EVA visible to the server, then let the server scan the SAN in order to make the server WWN visible to the EVA. Now create a vdisk and present it to the server.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Hi;
It all sounds good, but I need to start at the beginning.
1: The interconnect on the backplane need to connect to the brocades for redundancy. Say interconnect port 1 connecting to a port on the brocade switch 1 and the interconnect port 2 connecting to the second brocade switch for redundancy, The same applied to the other interconnect.
I read that this set up is not supported.

2: I am a kind of the deep end here and need some step by step guidance to zone and present LUNs to the blades

I can go to the other stuff once I can understand the physical and logical connections.

Tx
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

OK.

Please clarify which switches you have in the c-class and the two standalone switches. Or do you have pass-through modules?
Do you have virtual connect?

Do you have embedded switches in the EVA4400 too?

Before you start connecting things: Have you checked firmware levels??

Hi;
There is a connect through on the baclplane (interconnect) each containing 4 port each which according to the documentation aggregate the traffic from the blade servers.

Then there are two external brocade switches. There are two connection from the brocades going to the SAN (EVA) one from each switch.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

So in the back of the c7000 you have two brocade SAN-switches. These two should then be connected to the EVA? Correct? The EVA4400 is sometimes shipped with embedded SAN switches.

Switch A Port 17 -> CTRL A FP1
Switch B Port 17 -> CTRL A FP1

Switch A Port 18 -> CTRL B FP2
Switch B Port 18 -> CTRL B FP2

Should do it.

Then I guess you need to set up the port mapping in the c-class as well.

The brocades are not actually in the C7000. The enclosure ships with Interconnect switches. The brocades sit between the interconnect and the EVA. So I need to create zones (redundant) and map the LUNs to be seen by the appropriate servers.

When I create a zone, do I need to give it teh Interconnect switch port WWN or the EVA controller WWN ?
I am sure this is simple for someone who does this day in day out. I might not be desribing it in an easy way
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

The brocades are not actually in the C7000. The enclosure ships with Interconnect switches.

"Interconnect switches". So it is not a brocade? Ar they pass-through modules?

Same principle anyway.

In each zone you put the target and the initiator.

So the HBA port wwn and the EVA port wwn.

Brocade recommends 1 target and 1 initiator per zone.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

>> The enclosure ships with Interconnect switches.

Any model or product name or number?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Just to understand the target is the SP WWN i.e the controller in the EVA and the initiator. What would the initiator be ? I don't want to make any assumption.