HPE EVA Storage
1756268 Members
2264 Online
108843 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

WWN number disappearing and reclaiming within a minute.

HPOPSW
Advisor

WWN number disappearing and reclaiming within a minute.

I see the below error message in one of the system logs . The FC Card shows Online and Claimed. The port is connected to Ultrium tape drives as well as SAN disks via switch. While the other port on the same card which is connected to the SAN is not reporting any errors. How can I determine what is responsible to this error message since no other errors are reported and the SAN support has responded that Server fibre connections to switch ports checked with Switch ports not showing any errors.
-------------------------------------------
1/0/8/1/1: Device at device id 0x620f6c has disappeared from Name Server GPN_FT
(FCP type) response, or its 'Port World-Wide Name' has changed.
device id = loop id, for private loop devices
device id = nport ID, for fabric/public-loop devices
System won't be able to see LUNs behind this port.

1/0/8/1/1: Device at device id 0x620f6c is back in Name Server GPN_FT (FCP type)
response, and its 'Port World-Wide Name' remains the same as
original.
9 REPLIES 9
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

Re: WWN number disappearing and reclaiming within a minute.

keen to check what does "event.log" shows ???

cd /var/opt/resmon/logs
cat event.log

iosscan -fnH 1/0/8/1/1

ioscan -fnC fc

"some time could also be your "fc-card" driver issue .?

are you running lastest fc-driver ? & firmware ?
Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

I must be missing something.

First, for zoning purposes, each port can only be connected back to your switch/director to a single port. Hence your Ultrium tape drive's HBA port would be connected to it's own switch port. And your disk (SAN disk) would be connected to it's switch port. Generally tape drives are only connected to a single fabric, while disk arrays and servers are dual connected, each down it's own respective fabric's switch/director. That is if you have a dual fabric environment, which is not required, but highly recommended.

If your server and disk are okay, as you say, then my guess is somebody has zoned the tape library incorrectly. But that's a big, shooting in the dark, guess.

So my suggestion is to ask that your SAN Administrator take a look at their zoning and confirm it first.

Just a thought,
Rita
Turgay Cavdar
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Another thing is you should talk with backup admins that are there any problem with tape,any reboot issue...
HPOPSW
Advisor

Class I H/W Path Driver S/W State H/W Type Description
===================================================================
fc 0 0/0/8/1/0 fcd CLAIMED INTERFACE HP AB379-60101 4Gb Dual Port PCI/PCI-X Fibre Channel Adapter (FC Port 1)
/dev/fcd0
fc 1 0/0/8/1/1 fcd CLAIMED INTERFACE HP AB379-60101 4Gb Dual Port PCI/PCI-X Fibre Channel Adapter (FC Port 2)
/dev/fcd1
fc 2 1/0/8/1/0 fcd CLAIMED INTERFACE HP AB379-60101 4Gb Dual Port PCI/PCI-X Fibre Channel Adapter (FC Port 1)
/dev/fcd2
fc 3 1/0/8/1/1 fcd CLAIMED INTERFACE HP AB379-60101 4Gb Dual Port PCI/PCI-X Fibre Channel Adapter (FC Port 2)
/dev/fcd3

The drivers are not the lasted..but they are the same for other card as well..and no issues are faced there..
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Do you have any 'lbolt' errors reporting in /var/adm/syslog/syslog related to this?

Your problem then may be hardware.
Maybe a bad cable or a bad port.

Rgrds,
Rita

Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

Shalom,

I think there is either a bad cable/port or the zoning is not consistent or correct on the SAN.

If it is zoning, other systems in the same or nearby zone should have similar problems.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
HPOPSW
Advisor

Summary:
Adapter at hardware path 1/0/8/1/1 : Target device is back. Port
World-wide name remains the same as original.

Description of Error:

lbolt value: 549233732

Target with device id 0x620f6c is back in the Name Server GPN_FT (FCP type)
response. And the 'Port World-wide name' remains the same as original.
device id = loop id, for private loop devices
device id = nport ID, for fabric/public-loop devices

Probable Cause / Recommended Action:
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi,

what device is attached to Port 15 of the SAN Switch with Domain ID 98? (0x620f6c)
My guess is that it's a Tape Device, (the 6c sounds like a loop ID, disk devices usually have 00 as the last digits) What sort tape device is it? (Library Type, Manufacturer)

Check the SAN port. Are many link failures on that port? Is the tape drive going intermittently offline?

We have a similar error occuring. No idea why. A tape device loses its SAN connection, and comes back up 30 seconds later.

Regards,
Stephen
HPOPSW
Advisor

Storage guys have confirmed that port stats are showing no error. As per him , HP had recommended to disable EMC alerts for a similar issue on a diff. environment.

Will updating the latest STM version improve the situation. I would prefer that than disabling the alerts