1757444 Members
2901 Online
108862 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

c7000 MSA2212fc setup

Josh Ray

c7000 MSA2212fc setup

Hello,

I need some help finializing the installation of my company's SAN. We have the following

c7000 Blade Chassis
6 BL460 G1 Blades
Each blade contains 1 Emulex LPe1105 HBA
2 Brocade 4/12 san switches for the blade center
MSA2212fc with dual controllers dual ports

The IPs are setup on every device and the HBAs and the switches are installed in the correct spot. Up to date firmware and drivers have been applied to each of the servers. Each Bl460 is running Windows 2k8 server 64bit and each has Windows MPIO installed.

MSA has virtual disks configured and the topology is loop and the MSA is set to interconnected. I have assigned LUNs to each port on the HBAs (read write) and I have left each switch at default settings other than the ip. each controller has a port connected to each brocade switch.

As it stands right now no server can connect to the disks I have created. Do I need to setup zones? Does anyone have any documentation that will help?

Thanks in advance,

-j
9 REPLIES 9
Johnny von Heimerall
Frequent Advisor

Re: c7000 MSA2212fc setup

Hi Josh,

How you you mean that you cannot connect to the disks? Please clarify.
Can you see the MSA in MPIO?
At a glance, it looks like host port mapping isnt set?

Also, as you are running a dual controller system in a switch attach configuration, please disable host port interconnect.

Best regards,
Johnny
Josh Ray

I will turn off the interconnect, I have the host port mapping assigned to each port on the HBA (total of 4 ports on each server) each is set to rw. Is this correct. The MSA is not showing up in Windows MPIO. Are there any addtional HP drivers or software that I need to load? Do I need to leave both switches alone or do I need to setup zones?
Johnny von Heimerall
Frequent Advisor

Hi Josh,

Yes performance wize, it is better to give every lun access to every port.

It is recommended to set up zoning but i would wait with that until you can get the storage accessible.

Can you verify that MPIO is configured correctly, see attached PDF.

Also, check with HBAAnywhere if you can see the storage.

Johnny
Josh Ray

Hey Johnny,

The MPIO DSM is showing up with multiple paths on each server. What is left? Do I need to configure Zones on both switches with a WWN from each server? Are there any more recommendations with this config?
Johnny von Heimerall
Frequent Advisor

Hiya Josh,

So the paths are shown but not the LUNs in win 2008 disk manager?
If this is the case, it still sounds like something is messed up with host port mapping.
Let me have a look at the config, please provide a ziped store.logs (around 500K)
--> manage - utilities - debug utilities - generate log information - save logs to file

and provide the wwn ids of the servers thats expected to see the storage.
Josh Ray

Hey Johnny,

The drives are showing up in DM now. I just wondered if I need to set up zones now or if you knew of any other settings that I need to adjust?
Johnny von Heimerall
Frequent Advisor

Aah good stuff! :)

Yeah what i can think of besides setting up the zoning is to verify that you are running the latest firmwares and then try the redundancy of the MSA.
Josh Ray

As far as setting up zoning, I know where to set it up. How do you set it up?

I have 2 switches (switch1, switch2)

example
Server1 has one HBA with 2 ports (0,1)
Server2 has one HBA with 2 ports (0,1)

Do I setup the zone in switch1 with server1 port0 and server2 port0

and vice versa with switch2

Where do the MSA WWNs fall into this zone setup, if at all?
Johnny von Heimerall
Frequent Advisor

Josh,

It would be too much to write here, please see if any of these documents can help

Arbitrated loop:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01693126&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Point-to-point:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01692989

Otherwise just google around for
switch model# / MSA / zoning best practises

Best of luck,
Johnny