2757 Online
108853 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Primera Warning when using the Primera Cabling Tool

CadenLange
Regular Advisor

Primera Warning when using the Primera Cabling Tool

Hi

I noticed a warning when I was using the www.hpe.com/storage/PCT tool to assist with adding enclosures to an A650 4 node array. 

When running the tool I select the option to upload the config file from the array and input the information on the number of enclosures I'm adding etc - but it then comes back with a warning saying that adding enclosures to a Primera running version 4.2 must only be done by HPE Support. 

Why is this warning here? Is there some additional risks with 4.2 that means that a different procedure needs to be followed that can only be done by HPE Support?

Has anyone else seen this at all?

thanks in advance 

8 REPLIES 8
support_s
System Recommended

Query: Primera Warning when using the Primera Cabling Tool

System recommended content:

1. Connecting data cables using HPE Primera Cabling Tool

2. Using the HPE Primera Cabling Tool while offline with Chrome

Please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon to give a "Kudo".

Thank you for being a HPE valuable community member.

Accept or Kudo

sbhat09
HPE Pro

Hello @CadenLange,

Can you please post the complete error message or screenshot here?

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of HPE.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

veeyarvi
HPE Pro

Hi CadenLange

There is no additional risks but the self installation of additional enclosures with 4.2 is blocked by the tool design. You may choose either involving an HPE field personnel or upgrade the OS to 4.3.x and use the tool.

Regards
Veeyaarvi

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
CadenLange
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the update.

So there is no difference to the upgrade procedures between 4.2 and 4.3x when adding enclosures and there are no additional risks?

I'm not sure what the warning is actually warnng me for?

Can you please elaborate. - Is it a bug with the tool perhaps?

many thanks

veeyarvi
HPE Pro

Hi CadenLange,

Yeah, there is no additional risks.  And you will be able to perform the upgrade yourself when the OS upgraded to 4.3 (or above).
I cannot comment whether it is a bug but as far as I know, it is per design and the self upgrdade of additional enclosres is only supported from 4.3.

Regards,
Veeyaarvi

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
CadenLange
Regular Advisor

OK thanks

As an HPE certified partner does the rules still apply that Partners are also unable to undertake Primera enclosure upgrades until OS version 4.3?

Kind regards

caden

veeyarvi
HPE Pro

Hi CadenLange,

The partners should be able to perform the action but I am unable to comment on the same. Did you try to go forward by clicking next on that page? 

Veeyaarvi

I am an HPE Employee.
Accept or Kudo
CadenLange
Regular Advisor

Hi

Yes - the warning can be ignored and clicking 'next' continues through the tool and shows the cabling required for completion

If partners are allowed to undertake this activity in 4.2 is there anything additionally partners should be aware of (technotes or advisories) to assist? I'm just unclear why 4.3 (and later) supports customer initiated upgrades when 4.2 doesn't if there aren't any differences in processes or risks.