3432 Online
108839 Solutions
New Discussion

List of supported devices

jguse
HPE Pro

Re: List of supported devices

Hello,

In my opinion, the Compatibility Matrix will stay internal-only for the forseeable future. I'm not in a position to decide whether or not it should be published, and my statements below are primarily my personal thoughts on this topic, in hope that it will explain the situation for you all.

First of all, the internal list is NOT an authority even for us in HPE Support on what must work or must be supported. It's only a guideline on what was tested and confirmed as working at some point in time with the device models listed there. The list has over 8700 device models including countless third-party devices, and publishing it could be seen as an official statement/guarantee that "this feature will work on this device", which doesn't seem like a good idea to me. That's probably a reason it is internal only.

This was not an issue for PCM+, because the Compatibility Matrix there included only a limited number of HPE Switches and Routers, without any third-party devices, and that's relatively simple to commit to officially testing and supporting with every new release.

We already provide official support for anyone with active warranty/contract for IMC who encounters issues with third-party devices in IMC, help out anyone on the forums whenever possible, and generally fix any bugs encountered even with third-party device scripts after they get reported to us.

If you really need to know whether your device will work with IMC, you can always:

* Install IMC with the 60-day free trial and see for yourself whether it works to recognize and work with the device. For specific features, nothing is more effective than testing IMC or a Module with your devices directly.

* Check the "System > Resource Management > Device Definition" list in IMC to see which devices can be recognized. Recognition doesn't mean it supports all features, but can be a good indicator of whether or not IMC will need any customization to work with the devices.

* Some features like Config Backup include a page that lists your devices and which methods/protocols they support for it. Others like VLAN Management will simply hide unsupported devices on their device list pages. For the Config Backup example, if you open the Configuration Center Options page, it has a list all of your devices and their support for Config Backup/Restore/Software Deployment features.

* Customize and extend IMC to support your third-party devices for various features to work. For this, please check the "Extending and customizing functions to support third-party devices" chapter in the Administrator Guide, or the third-party guide for IMC Customization.

* If all else does not work for you, open a support case to check for you.

Hope that helps explain the situation for you.

Best regards,
Justin

Working @ HPE
Accept or Kudo