1756659 Members
2512 Online
108852 Solutions
New Discussion

iMC - Almost Constant Traps - The device configuration has changed

jdoebling
Occasional Contributor

iMC - Almost Constant Traps - The device configuration has changed

I get tons of trap alarms from different switches, some traps occuring only a few minutes apart.  The device configuration has changed is the message.  I know that no one has accessed the device.  I have 2 questions:

WHY DOES THIS TRAP OCCUR?

HOW DO I STOP IT -or- Manage this trap better (Either tell me how to stop it or tell me what to do with it and why I should consider it important!)

The Alarm parameters are usually (3 of them)

1.3.6.1.4.1.43.45.1.6.10.1.1.7.1.3.4720 parameter value=2

1.3.6.1.4.1.43.45.1.6.10.1.1.7.1.4.4720 parameter value=4

1.3.6.1.4.1.43.45.1.6.10.1.1.7.1.5.4720 parameter value=2

3 REPLIES 3
Inge_Quarg
Occasional Advisor

Re: iMC - Almost Constant Traps - The device configuration has changed

these messages comes from older switches or no actual software on the switch. You can filter these traps in imc.

Copy the trap OID and go to Alams-->Trap management--<Filtering Trap--> add. Change the Filter Mode to By Trap. Select the Alarm Trap Name and use the Trap OID for query. Mark the Alarm Trap and than define when it should be filtered.

Hope this hepls, Regards

Inge

SteveV1

I get these messages as well and they are accompanied by a device not responding message.  I monitor for no response to know when a switch goes down.  In this case the switch is cold starting and during that time it is not responding to ping which is what causes the message. 

Any suggestions on how I can prevent these switches from cold starting.  It seems to be related to SNMP.

Thanks,

SV

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

SOunds like a power or hardware issue if the device is going offline and restarting.

There can be software issues on devices that cause snmpd to restart, but if your device is not responding to ping, then it is most likely actually offline. It's not an SNMP issue, it's more fundamental than that.

Check the uptime on the switch - is the device itself reloading or power cycling?