1757024 Members
1951 Online
108858 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ignite Image From V-class To rp7400

Anthony Cheng_1

Ignite Image From V-class To rp7400

Hello Folks,

How can I make a ignite copy from V-Class To rp7400 Server. My Ignite Version is B.1.53 and OS Version 11.0, thanks !!

Cheers,
Anthony
10 REPLIES 10
Donald Kok
Respected Contributor

Re: Ignite Image From V-class To rp7400

Hi Anthony,

You can not ignite to a different class. You can however use the files from the ignite tape.

#first put the tape (asume /dev/rmt/0mn) on its place:
mt -f /dev/rmt/0mn rew
#then skip lif:
mt -f /dev/rmt/0mn fsf 1
#then read the content to the current dir:
pax -rkvf /dev/rmt/0mn

Nowq you can copy the files you want to its place.

Good luck
Donald
My systems are 100% Murphy Compliant. Guaranteed!!!
Anthony Cheng_1

Hello Donald,

Can I say that,
1. I make a ignite copy from V-Class
2. Install the Min-OS To rp7400
3. Take a Ignite Tape to rp7400
4. mt -f /dev/rmt/0mn rew
5. mt -f /dev/rmt/0mn fsf 1
6. pax -rkvf /dev/rmt/0mn
7. pax -wkvf /dev/rmt/0mn .
8. reboot rp7400

Thanks !!

Cheers,
Anthony Cheng 2003"
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

With new versions of ignite you can clone a system of different model/class.

check the man pages of make_tape_recovery for
"Using the Recovery Tape to Clone a System"

you need to get the latest B 4.1 from

http://software.hp.com/products/IUX/download.html
Anthony Cheng_1

Hello,

So if I install the B.4.1 Ignite-UX to V-Class Server, I need install update H/W Patch or not? It is because I am afraid the old H/W patch it is can't support rp7400's CPU, what do you think ?!

My V-Class H/W Patch Version As Sept 1999.

Thanks !!
Donald Kok
Respected Contributor

Hi,

AFAIK this will not work, The model dependen files (like /dev) will give problems. But the rest like /opt /usr/local, can be done.

The other day I did this with An K tape to an A machine. I made an /K380 directory and placed the files from the tape in it. From there I copied what I needed.

It is not as easy as booting from the ignite tape, but it can help. If the old machine is available I would use ftp to copy it.

HTH
Donald
My systems are 100% Murphy Compliant. Guaranteed!!!
Sean McConkey_5
Advisor

Hi Anthony,

Try this, it's not supported but you can boot off your V Ignite tape on the RP box. You may have some issues with drivers, but these can be re-installed etc.

From the Boot Menu use the appropriate command to boot of the Ignite tape and choose Y to interact with IPL;
Main Menu: Enter command or menu > bo 10/12/5.0
Interact with IPL (Y, N, or Cancel)?> y

At the IPL prompt give the tape the correct Ignite Kernel commands to boot from and use the normal Ignite recovery procedure as described in 6.1..
hpux (;0):INSTALL
-
Sean McConkey_5
Advisor

Ooops noticed a small mistake,

hpux (;0):VINSTALL

-
John Poff
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You probably won't be able to boot the rp7400 with the kernel on the Ignite tape. Ignite does three kinds of kernels; one for systems that run 32 or 64 bit; one for systems that are just 64 bit; and one for the V-class boxes. The V-class class Ignite kernel is VINSTALL, which probably won't fly on the rp7400.

JP
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The V-class is a VERY different machine than the rp series. By the time you add all the rp-required drivers (the V-class uses different drivers) and any other rp-specific modules, the time to experiment will far exceed the time needed to do a cold install and patch session.

Ignite/UX is designed to recover the same or similar machines and success becomes less likely when the machines are from very different families. The V-class is unlike any other PA-RISC system.

Do a cold install+patches and then configure the new system using the V-class as the model. You can copy the passwd and group files plus the contents of /home. The rest of /etc will have to be examined by hand (some files will not be portable).

Bill Hassell, sysadmin