New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ignite and Secure Path

SOLVED
Go to solution
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Ignite and Secure Path

Hi,
I installed a new Ignite server, running Ignite 6.2.241.

When trying "Add new client" from the GUI, the process hanged for some of the clients (rescan_hw_host). The problem seems related to Secure Path (can't remember this specific problem in previous Ignite versions).

Again, this damned Secure Path.

I have also noticed that Ignite not support Secure Path for system recovery even if it seems to pe possible to get it work with some hands on.

Which is the recommended system backup/recovery method when using Secure Path ?

Is there actually any acceptable solution ?

- VxVM DMP, (no support for EVA arrays) ?
- Uninstalling Secure Path and configure Single Path (no failover) ?
- Throw the EVAs in a trash container and buy a 3-party array (which seems better supported by HP) ?

9 REPLIES 9
Marlou Everson
Trusted Contributor

Upgrade your EVAs to 4000/6000/8000 and get rid of Secure Path, go back to alternate links and sacrifice load balancing?

We are not fond of Secure Path either and are considering upgrade EVA3000s to EVA4000s.

The EVAs are mentioned in section 4.2 of the lastest Ignite Release Notes. I have not upgraded to C.6.2 yet.

Marlou
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,

- What does an upgrade mean ? New controllers ? Do you have any idea about costs ?

- Does alternate links (pvlinks) works for EVA4000/6000/8000 ? And, does alternate links support load balancing ? Why do not alternate links works for EVA 3000.

Marlou Everson
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Leif,

Sorry for the late response. I was on vacation last week.

Yes, the upgrade means new controllers. I am not sure about the costs. Not cheap is my guess.

Yes, the 4K/6K/8K can do alternate links with HP-UX and do not need SecurePath but the alternate links will not do load balancing.

I have heard rumors that HP will be releasing firmware upgrades for the 3000 that will support alternate links.

Marlou
Basheer_2
Trusted Contributor

Hello Leif

I got into same situation.

ewscan_hw_host is eating up all CPU.

Can I kill this Process.

Thanks
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Marlou,

Sorry for that I not noticed your reply. If you read this and know anything more about firmware upgrades I am very interested.

Basheer,

Yes, you can kill the process.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

It's been written in the ITRC forums that VCS V4.0 is supposed to come in february 2006 and bring us active/active support.
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Thank you Uwe, I hope VCS 4.0 will solve our problems.
In an earlier posting about VCS V4.0, you wrote about V4.0 "a step backwards on some platforms".

Could you please be a little more specific.

Is there any Release Notes for V4.0 avialable yet ?
Fabio Ettore
Honored Contributor

Hi Leif and everybody,

I found this thread and since I faced this problem a few days ago I can give you an update:

http://docs.hp.com/en/IUX/docs/IUX_release_notes.htm

4.3 EVA GL (EVA3000/EVA5000) Disk Arrays

=========================================

With new firmware released for the EVA GL (EVA3000/EVA5000) disk arrays (in

December 2005) all of the previous limitations with Ignite-UX have been

removed. If the array is running the new firmware, Ignite-UX supports

installation and recovery of systems using the EVA GL disk arrays.

I faced the same problem with rescan_hw_host hanging without an apparent reason.... of course in the middle there was EVA5000 and SecurePath.
My customer is going to update the "firmware" (more info about firmware in the provided link). That should fix consequently the rescan_hw_host when adding a new client on Ignite-UX Server.

HTH.

Best regards,
Fabio
WISH? IMPROVEMENT!
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Leif,

I stil have my EVA5Ks at VCS 3.020 (VCS 3.028 in 3 weeks), SecurePath 3.0E, VxVM (non-DMP to them LUNS of course), XP 12000 (VxVM DMP on them LUNs) + Ignite-UX version 5.35 and we've never seen any issues.

It's a good thing I have not upgraded to Ignite 6.X or else I might have the same issues as you're having.

The fix is hopefully on th ehorizon for ultimately droppping SecurePath to the EVAs. My FE has us on track to an upgrade to VCS 4.01 on our EVA5Ks. We need to however go through 3.028 I was told. With VCS4.01 - the EVAs will now be active active so - PVLINKS or DMP (reportedly via the Veritas ASL for EVA4/6/8k) should now work.

I am opening a thread on the Storage Forums for EVA 5K + VCS 4.01 in a shirt while if there are none yet.
Hakuna Matata.