2869 Online
108852 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing an Ignite Image from rp8400 to rp8440

Joe Kanakaraj
Advisor

Installing an Ignite Image from rp8400 to rp8440

Hi Guys,
Got an issue here. Basically I trying to get an ignite of a 6 year old RP 8400(8 CPU 16G RAM) running HPUX 11.11.0303 onto a brand new RP 8440 (24 CPU 64G RAM) Machine. I seemed to have spent 48 hours trying to get it to work after all sorts of work arounds.

I finally figured out that the ignite from the old machine seems to have major compatibility problems with the newer hardware and the firmware level on the new machine is of the charts in comparison to the old machine.
Now my question is, is there any way I get this old machine image onto the new one. I am running the latest ignite on the old machine. I thought of a quick and dirty method of copying my /tcb directory across to the new machine, and my crontabs, and a few files inside /etc on a fresh install of 11.11!. My question is will this work├в ┬жespecially my tcb. Will a golden image install work (have not tried it yet).

I would really appreciate it if somebody can tell me or give ideas if there is a work around to get the old image onto the server. I have attached an excerpt of the ignite install and the sysrev output of the two machines, if that can help.

I have already logged a call with HP, but thought I'll get more ideas here.

Cheers,
Joe
Unix is simple, but it takes a genius to understand the simplicity. - quoted Dennis Ritchie
3 REPLIES 3
TTr
Honored Contributor

The problems you are having are with the SAN LUNs and autopath. If you want to stay with the ignited server you should ignite the OS without adding any SAN attached drives. Did you interrupt the ignite loading to change any LVM info or did you select the igbniting to different hardware" option?

After booting the OS you should add the latest patch bundles and then setup the SAN LUNs and autopath. The patching would give you the latest hardware updates and drivers.

I would strongly suggest that you build your new server based on a new OS image (factory installed or not) and then migrate the environment from the old server to the new.

You did not mention any other customizations from the old server except the user accounts (tcb). If that is the only thing involved, you should not use ignite. Also how many users are involved? A few or hundreds? What else is involved here, in other words what other customizations from the old server does ignite get you?

It is straight forward to migarte users. You can certainly test it out since your new server is at your disposal.

Take a look at http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1223814

Joe Kanakaraj
Advisor

Thanks TTr,
I had earlier tried removing the san cables as well as the HBA cards and attempted the install but no luck.
I am going in for a fresh install since HP suggests it stating that the stability of the OS will be better since the Hardware is just too new. It├в s a good thing I keep my Application and DB configs on the SAN. I have quite a number of users so what I thought to do is get the OS onto an old test server of the same old configs and also I will untrust the system on the test node so that I will get the passwords in a single file, put it on the new machine and then retrust it on the new setup..
Unix is simple, but it takes a genius to understand the simplicity. - quoted Dennis Ritchie
Sandy Chen
Honored Contributor

Hi Joe,

Do you have updated patch bundle and h/w enablement patch on the rp8400?

Regards,
Sandy
I never think of the future. It comes soon enough.