Operating System - HP-UX
1756754 Members
2448 Online
108852 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Restore problem DDS2/DDS3

Restore problem DDS2/DDS3

Hello,

I have performed a full backup on a C110 Workstation (internal DDS2), And I would like perform a full restore on a B2000 workstation with a external DDS3.
But the workstation crashed after few minutes.

Thanks for yours helps.

P.S. This thread has been moved from Storage>General to HP-UX > ignite. -HP Forum Moderator

3 REPLIES 3
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

How did you attempt to do the restore? How was the backup originally created?
Anyone for a Mutiny ?

1. A Bootable tape has been created via C110 workstation and I booted on the tape and performed a full backup.

2. After the full backup I booted with the tape on the B2000 workstation and select restore in menu. But after somes minutes the system crashed.

Thanks

Dave Unverhau_1
Honored Contributor

Hello,

I suppose you are using the make_recovery or make_tape_recovery utility to make the bootable tape, and you are trying to install this on the B2000.

I expect that this will not work, as the two machines have completely different architectures - the C110 is based on a PA7200 RISC CPU with and GSC i/o bus, while the B2000 is based on a PA8600 chip and a PCI i/o bus.

Make_recovery is intended for backup and recovery of the same system, and can also be used to clone or migrate between similar systems, but is not meant to migrate between dissimilar hardware platforms. The problem arises from the need for different drivers that are not part of the o/s installed on the older box.

You'll probably have a better result by installing from the core OS/install and apps media and moving the data via network or via tape using tar or fbackup.

hth,

Dave
Romans 8:28