1751924 Members
4589 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: View files within Ignite Image

Keao
Occasional Advisor

View files within Ignite Image

Is there a way to view files and directories within an ignite image? The closest thing that comes to mind that I want to accomplish is what Ghost Explorer allows for Windows images.

Thanks,
Jon
5 REPLIES 5
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Is this an Ignite image on disk or on tape?

If on tape:

# mt -f /dev/rmt/?mn rew
# mt -f /dev/rmt/?mn fsf 1
# tar -tvf /dev/rmt/?mn

If a disk image:

# gzcat | tar -tvf -
Keao
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply.

Is this just to view the list of files? I'm looking for something that will let me extract, take a copy of, or view a particular file from the archive.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

The 'tar -t' command will show you the files in the archive. Substitute 'tar -x' to extract.

For example, to extract /etc/hosts:

If on tape:

# mt -f /dev/rmt/?mn rew
# mt -f /dev/rmt/?mn fsf 1
# tar -xvf /dev/rmt/?mn etc/hosts

If a disk image:

# gzcat | tar -xvf - etc/hosts

Notes:

1) All files are stored in Ignite backups with a path relative to '/' and because of that do NOT have a leading '/', hence etc/hosts in the tar command.

2) This will extract the file relative to your current directory because of # 1.
Ken Englander
Regular Advisor

Hey Patrick - thanks for providing that answer, using gzcat with a disk image - that is exactly what I needed to find out today!
SoorajCleris
Honored Contributor

Hi Jon,

If you got the exact answer, you can assign 10 points to him .. thats how you can encourage your forum mates !!

:)

Regards,
Sooraj
"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity" - Dennis Ritchie