108848 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

accidental recovery started,

SOLVED
Go to solution
Paul Willder
Occasional Advisor

accidental recovery started,

a network based recovery of a server was accidentally started, the client system has been rebooted and the prompt is at the "install TUI" is there a way to stop the system from completing the recovery at this point? no data has been written to the disks yet..
7 REPLIES 7
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: accidental recovery started,

Reset the server and make sure to boot the correct kernel (vmunix), not the install kernel. Boot manually!

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Jozef_Novak
Respected Contributor

Hello,

there is no need to worry until you have pressed the Go! button in the TUI. Either exit the installation interface or reset the system via console.

As Torsten suggests, make sure you boot from the correct path (internal disks instead of network).

J.
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

As long as your system was bootable prior to this "accidental" recovery, at the point you described, you have not lost anything from your system. You can safely go to the MP/GSP prompt and issue an RS command and let the system boot in its own accord. You should be fine.

once the system has rebooted does the system modify the boot sequence to by pass the network boot for the next restart?
Paul Willder
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for replys, the system is back up..
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

If your primary boot path is the h/w address of the lan0 NIC, the answer is no, it will end up booting from the same source. I have never done this, so my statement is from a theoretical point of view.

in order to revert to booting fromt the boot disk automatically, you either need to change the default boot path at the menu presented to you if you press a key in 10 seconds when you were asked (I am not exactly sure which selection tree you need to traverse but I know it is there somewhere) or after the boot, at the root shell prompt, you need to use the setboot -p command followed by the H/W address of your boot disk device as in

setboot -p 0/0/1/1.2.0 #an example

Hope this helps

I recently accidently did the same thing on an itanium platform. I had used the bootsys command from the wrong server and it had updated the AUTO file of the client server's boot disk with the "boot install" string.

So in my case however many times i would have rebooted it would have tried to boot from the network. In order to fix the situation:-

rebooted the server, then when i saw the following

Press Any Key to interrupt Autoboot
\EFI\HPUX\AUTO ==> boot install
Seconds left till autoboot - 9
Type 'help' for help

then i could do an 'ls' which shows be the contents of /stand. i then simply issued the 'boot vmunix' command which boots from the kernel on disk.

Once i'd done that i did the following commands to check and alter the AUTO file on disk so that any subsequent reboots would work correctly

# to see what is in the AUTO file
efi_cp -d /dev/rdisk/_p1 -u /efi/hpux/auto ./AUTO

cat AUTO
boot install <-- output

# to see what it should be get a good server configuration
efi_cp -d /dev/rdisk/_p1 -u /efi/hpux/auto ./AUTO-good

cat AUTO-good
boot vmunix

# to change it to boot from vmunix edit AUTO text file from 'boot install' to 'boot vmunix' then write it back to the AUTO file on disk

efi_cp -d /dev/rdisk/_p1 ./AUTO /efi/hpux/auto

and then checked it by using the above commands and by actually rebooting the box.