New Discussion юеВ

annoying output from make_config

SOLVED
Go to solution
GXW_1
Frequent Advisor

annoying output from make_config

Hi,

I'm trying to script something which includes a make_config along the way, and I have used "2>&1 >> $logfile" at the end of my commands to hide all that stuff away.

Problem is whenever th script hits the make_config it spews the following message on screen despite me redirecting standard and error output?

"NOTE: make_config can sometimes take a long time to complete. Please be patient!"

Does anyone know how I can get rid of this message. The man page doesn't seem to suggest any "supress msgs" option. :-(
6 REPLIES 6
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: annoying output from make_config

I suppose that I know when to fight battles and when to ignore gnats and this may well be one of those times. Normally, when a message is not written to stdout or stderr and is still displayed on the terminal, the developer had a very good reason for doing that. He is probably writing to /dev/tty. The only file descriptors that you have control over before a process begins are 0,1, and 2 and make_config is obviously using another file descriptor.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
GXW_1
Frequent Advisor

FYI, I have resolved this issue by using backquotes...

blackhole=`/opt/ignite/bin/make_config -s $source -c $newconfig 2>&1 >> $logfile`

It probably is writing to another file descriptor but at least the above works.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Since your backticks fixed the problem that means that the output is going to stdout in this case rather than directly to /dev/tty.

The problem is this:

"2>&1 >> $logfile"

restate it as

>> $logfile 2>&1

and you should be fixed.

By the way, backticks are considered archaic so that
XX=`command`
is better stated
XX=$(command)
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
GXW_1
Frequent Advisor

oops :-(

You are, of course, spot on Clay.

This was just a silly output redirection mistake, although I did learn a few things fixing it!

Thanks.
GXW_1
Frequent Advisor

P.S. I am considered archaic ;-)
GXW_1
Frequent Advisor

See above for solution.