3725 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ignite ux slow

kholikt
Super Advisor

ignite ux slow

Hi,

Currently I am trying to do a make_net_recovery from one of the server to create archives to our ignite UX server.

It will take around 7 days to finish the process. I do a ping from the server to the ignite ux server, it seem to be fast and responsive.

What could be the possible reason that cause the performance issue? The enitre vg00 is just less than
abc
7 REPLIES 7
Jaimin Parikh
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Are you running any network applications in your setup?If answer is yes,this may be one of the problem.Also,if your root volume group is being used heavily than performance will be affected.

-Jaimin Parikh
JAIMIN PARIKH : Share your knowledge and help those who need your help!!
Jaimin Parikh
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

I think this may be helpful to you.Check the details of the link listed below;

http://www.docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/B2355-90704/B2355-90704.html

-Jaimin Parikh
JAIMIN PARIKH : Share your knowledge and help those who need your help!!
kholikt
Super Advisor

I have read through the documentation already but still have no clue on what is the cause. Both servers are in different subnet
abc
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Doing a ping will not give you a good indication of how the performance will be during a make_net_recovery.

Several points to consider that will also effect performance:

1) The type of system you are backing up and what type of hardware it is. If you have an older server, with a 10Mb NIC and some older disk drives, then all this will have an adverse effect.

2) The type of server that your ignite server is. This server has to receive the data, and compress the data via gzip. If this machine is also an older, slower machine then your backup will be slow.

3) The amount of data you are backing up. The more data, the more time.

4) Anything else going on while you are trying do the make_net_recovery, either on the system being backed up, the ignite server, or the network.

5) Network traffic in general. You said your ignite server and the machine being backed up are on different subnet, this will make a difference.

I have an older (circa 1991) 857S server. I installed ignite and ran a make_net_recovery to my ignite server, a C200 workstation. I was backing up approximately 10GB, if I recall correctly, from the 857 to the C200. The make_net_recovery took about 24 hours.

Just keep in mind that there are LOTS of factors to take into consideration when doing ANY type of backup via the network.
magnus linner
Advisor

If it takes such a long time you have probably wrong speed settings.
Make sure that both your client and server have the same speed settings as the switch.
If your client for example is connected to a switch port that use 100FD you have to set the same speed on the client.
Run lanscan to verify what nmid you have of your NIC then
run lanadmin -X 100FD nmid to set the speed.
Do not ever use Auto-Negotiation ON!
Tran Vu

Hi it might the setting of your NIC doesn't match with the setting on the switch.

Check for:
Autonegotiation ON/OFF
Speed of the NIC card 100Mbps/10Mbps
Duplex mode HALF/FULL

Whatever the setting is on the switch should be matched with the setting of the NIC card.

You can access the setting for the NIC card by using sam.

I ran into the same problem then realize that the these settings are different.

Long live Unix
Jean-Guy GROSSE
Advisor

Hello,

I had a similary problem in my configuration.May be it's a same . Actually, we have a cisco switch with port configured in auto-neg. But HP lan card doesn't swith corretly and rest to Half duplex. :
Verify with
landadmin -x 0 ( 0 is card instance see lanscan command)

If you have HALF DUPLEX , try to change with
lanadmin -X 100FD 0

Good luck