4031 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion

Citrix Xenserver 6.x/ILO4

rib11
Occasional Advisor

Citrix Xenserver 6.x/ILO4

Hi, 

what is the right setting in HP-ILO4 using xenserver?

pass through, agentless (snmp)?

1. Question: I already installed the HP agents in xenserver, trap destination is the HP-SIM 7.1 server (remote support adv.).

The SMH is working fine in xenserver, but in hpsim in "System Health" there is only ping for this server!

No hardware information.

Whats going wrong?

2. Question: Another customer is using RS next generation 7.0.5, (Xenserver 6.1) - is that supported?

Because the system does not create events (i.e. powersupply failed) - snmp already configured, test trap in ILO4 works, test trap from SMH (xen) does not work

Thank you - best regards

6 REPLIES 6
AndyC
Advisor

Re: Citrix Xenserver 6.x/ILO4

@rib11 wrote:

2. Question: Another customer is using RS next generation 7.0.5, (Xenserver 6.1) - is that supported?

Is the system entitled?  IRS 7.0.5 will only process service events (including test events) for systems with valid entitlement.  Service events sent for systems that aren't entitled won't be forwarded to HP or shown in the HP Insight Remote Support user interface.

I am an HP employee.
rib11
Occasional Advisor

Yes - the server (dl360G8) is entitled (warranty).
LisaW
Valued Contributor

Question 2:  Page 13 of the  HP Insight Remote Support Release Notes, software version 7.0.5 Content Level Update 1 (7.0.5.68) says Citrix XenServer 5.5 and 5.6 are supported useing SNMP.

IRS4Ever
Occasional Advisor

The setting of SNMP Pass-thru or Agentless Management is dependent on which platform you want to use for event reporting.  You would use the Agentless Management setting if you want the embedded remote support module in the iLO to generate and send events.  You would use SNMP pass-thru if you have Agents installed on a supported OS (required)  on the server side and you want the server agents to monitor the server hardware.  However, the difference comes from which IP you use to discover the monitored device.  If you select Agentless Management you want to discover the iLO IP.  If you use the server agents, you discover the Server IP.

As for 7.0.5 and Citrix 6.1, version 6.1 is not yet supported by RS for agent support, currently 5.5 and 5.6 only. 

For further information on these topics please refer to the following documents:

Monitored Devices COnfiguration Guide (7.0.5): http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03399339/c03399339.pdf

RS Installation and COnfiguration Guide: http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03399338/c03399338.pdf

RS 7.0.5 Release Notes: http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03399343/c03399343.pdf

I am an HP employee
seamasters
Advisor

Hi Rib,

Make sure that you have installed the HP SNMP Agents for Citrix.  Directions for doing that are in Chapter 7 of the "HP Insight Remote Support 7.0.5 Monitored Devices Configuration Guide" available at the following URL:

HP Insight Remote Support 7.x Documentation site

If all of that looks good, then you can trigger a server basic collection for that server from the "Collection Services" page of the User Interface.  If you have more than one server, you can create a group on the page and just add your server that you are working with to the group.  Then click on the "Run Now" button.  That will trigger a collection immediately instead of waiting for the next scheduled collection.  

Once the collection is finished, the health information will be updated.

I am an HP employee.

I am an HP employee.
rib11
Occasional Advisor

Hi all

just for the record (RS7.0.5):

- ILO4: I have to configure the snmp setting to "pass-through" (already done)

- HP Mgmt Agents in Xenserver: must be installed (already done)

- snmp configuration in Xenserver: trap community, destination is the RS7.0.5 system (already done)

and thats all?!

I will go to the customer this week and re-check my configuration.

Thank you very much!

Regarding question 1 - any hint?

best regards

rib11