1754277 Members
3233 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Blade Vs Rack mounted Servers

Kameswar

Blade Vs Rack mounted Servers

Hi,
We planned to introduce HP C-class blade servers. I would like to have few strong reasons on why to choose blade servers instead rack mounted?
What are the limitations or demerits of blades instead rack servers apart from memory expansions. (Please address the max risk if any)
What sought of resilience or backup plans needs to keep in-hand before or after blade serverтАЩs introduction.
How much power (watts) and cooling required for a full load (16 * ┬╜ blades or 8 full blades)
Any recommendations or best practices for blade servers.
Any merits or demerits using it with VMware ESX 3.5
Are there any other best blade models than the c-class blades?
Could you please provide me the success ratio of using blade servers, also provide me the blade serverтАЩs forums if any?
I have seen few presentations over youtube and came to know IBM blades are more reliable and few vulnerable incidents expected with HP. Could you please provide me some recommendations or best practices to overcome those issues.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYGQ7KjC7Y&feature=related
3 REPLIES 3
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Blade Vs Rack mounted Servers

Do you talk about blades in general or about Integrities in particular?

(you placed the thread in the Integrity subforum)

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

I would like to have few strong reasons on why to choose blade servers instead rack mounted?
1) Density, 16 blades, 2 CPUs each, 4 cores each CPU in 10U of space.
2) Less cabling, 6 power cable per 16 servers, 10 network cables per 16 servers, etc.
3) More durable, external high-eficient power supplies and fans. More easy to replace.

What are the limitations or demerits of blades instead rack servers apart from memory expansions
c-Class uses SAS disks like other Proliant, a half-height blade has 8 DIMM slots, so maximum 32 GB RAM. Yo can add 2 mezzanine for up to 6 extra network or fiber channel ports. I do not see any limitation here.

What sought of resilience or backup plans needs to keep in-hand before or after blade server├в s introduction.
Using RDP software, you can program automatic OS installation and software distribution, and even a "per bay" installation. Remove a blade from a bay, insert another one and it will be configured in the same manner.

How much power (watts) and cooling required for a full load (16 * ├В┬╜ blades or 8 full blades)
About 5000 W, depending on how many mezzanines, DIMMs, and switches on the back

The discusion about realibility is a thought one, everyone will have arguments, but c-Class is a good design, the cooling system is unique and the administration is dead easy.
Also, check the new Virtual Connect modules, they make the SAN and LAN administration a lot easier.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Depending on how you decide to configure the i/o modules, those 10 blade servers might not even need more than a handful of network cables coming-out the chassis.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows