3154 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Poor I/O through put From SAS Controller in server rx6600

ManojK_1
Valued Contributor

Poor I/O through put From SAS Controller in server rx6600

Hi Friends,

In our rx6600 Server we were facing very poor performance mainly because of very high I/O.
Serverv Configuration
Software
OS -- HP Unix 11.23
DB -- Oracle 10G Database
Application -- T24 Application server (Temenos Core Banking Software)

Hardware
Number of CPUs = 8 (4 dual core)
Memory = 24 GB
HardDisks= 16 Hard Disks ( each one is 73GB SAS HardDisks)

While monitoring(glance) we are seeing the I/O activity is going 100% most of the time.
In the server we are having two SAS controller and each controller is connected by 8 Hard Disks.
We have configured ASM for Oracle.4 disks from SAS Controller1 and all 8 disks from SAS Controller2 is used for ASM.

In the attached Oracle Enterprise Manager output DATA_0000, DATA_0001, DATA_0002, DATA_0003 are disks which is connected to SAS Controller1 and DATA_0003,DATA_0004, REDO_0000, REDO_0001 are connected to SAS controller2.

Average Throughput (MB per second) for disks connected to 1st SAS controller is giving very poor throughput compared to the disks which is connected to the 2nd SAS Controller.

In ASM Configuration DATA_0000, DATA_0001, DATA_0005 are in one failure group and DATA_0002, DATA_0003, DATA_0006 are in second failure group.

What will be reason behind this poor throughput? Please help us in solving the issue?

Thanks and Regards,
Manoj K
11 REPLIES 11
Khairy
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Poor I/O through put From SAS Controller in server rx6600

hi,

can you share what raid levels are configured for the sas disks and how many luns are there. To check, run the following:

# ioscan -kfnd ciss

It should show you ciss. To list details, assuming is 5.
# saconfig /dev/ciss5

Based on my experience, this could be high IO requirements than you expected. It could be several factors, disk speed and type, saturate I/O bus etc....

For oracle, it would be good if you consider transfer redo/undo/archive logs to raid 1+0 volumes due to high I/O requirement for these files.

For the datafiles, raid 5 should be fine but its up to your requirement.

Post the following output for better understanding.
# ioscan -funC disk
# df -k
# iostat 1 100

Let us know.

ManojK_1
Valued Contributor

Hi Khairy,

Thanks for your response and sorry for the delay to reply.
Server rx6600 is having SAS controller for connecting Internal disks (SAS Disks).

So the controller HW should be like /dev/sasd0 and there is a provision per SAS controller to do maximum two H/W mirroring of disks (two mirror-4disks).As i mentioned in my previous message, for oracle we are using ASM.In ASM we only need to mention the RAW DISKS.Rest all including the high availability is taking care by asm only. From os side need not be done anything on the ASM disks .

We are having TWO SAS controller and 16 internal disks on the system.

As per request all output is attached with this mail.Please find it.
Thanks and Regards,
Manoj K
Khairy
Esteemed Contributor

hi,

yes. The c1t0d0 which you claimed to be raid 1 seems to have high I/O loads. Is there any filesystem residing in it? or is it your oracle raw device?

post output from :
# vgdisplay -v

Rgds
ManojK_1
Valued Contributor

Os is installed on the disk c1t0d0s2.
Please find the attachemnt for full details.
Thanks and Regards,
Manoj K
TTr
Honored Contributor

You only posted "vgdisplay -v vg00". What about vgapps and vgctrl? I asume that the three LVM volume groups are using the 3 IR-volumes and you have 2 unused disks on controller 1.

I think you have the failure group NOT spread evenly across the two controllers.

Instead of posting anymore attachments how about filling up the following

controller 1
disk 1,2 IR volume 1: OS BOOT
disk 3 ASM: ????
disk 4 ASM: ????
disk 5 ASM: ????
disk 6 ASM: ????
disk 7 ASM or UNUSED: ????
disk 8 ASM or UNUSED: ????

controller 2
disk 1,2 IR volume 1: ????
disk 3,4 IR volume 1: ????
disk 5 ASM: ????
disk 6 ASM: ????
disk 7 ASM: ????
disk 8 ASM: ????

A better output would be from glance using the "v" or "u" screens for the disk output.

Also instead of using ASM failure groups did you consider using LVM mirrored pairs and putting the raw volumes on the raw logical volumes?
ManojK_1
Valued Contributor

Hi Friensd,

I am closing this thread, still amnot able to solve exact issue
Thanks and Regards,
Manoj K
Khairy
Esteemed Contributor

hi mano,

pls post info as TTr requested. It would help to identify the root cause of the problem. Without comprehensive 'vgdisplay -v' output, its kinda hard to tell you. Yeah, you did give vgdisplay -v vg00 but that is not enought.

However, I've spent sometime studying your outputs. My bet seems you have huge i/o load on c1 controllers. Try to balance the IO load by considering migrating some of the vg to c2 controllers.

But it seems the I/O is high on c1t0d0 (value 4763-6xxx) which contain your OS. I've begin to suspect it may paging space issue or any of filesystems in vg00 is the culprit.

Post the following output:
# swapinfo -tam
# vmstat 1 20
# kctune

Rgds
ManojK_1
Valued Contributor

Hi Khairy,

Thanks for the support you are giving for this issue.

Here am attaching the details which you have requested, the output is taken at the time of off-peak hour.

Thanks again and waiting for your reply.

Manoj K

Thanks and Regards,
Manoj K
Khairy
Esteemed Contributor

hi mano,

quite busy with some work lately...

anyway, i take a look the output and it doesn't show relevant info which tally with what you've sent earlier (iostat and others). Maybe because it was run during off-peak hours?

Rgds