1757084 Members
2073 Online
108858 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: "Search the Web" tool-bar box??

Micheal ORoark
Advisor

"Search the Web" tool-bar box??

I am running WinXP sp2 Home and Internet Explorer 6.0.2900 sp2 on a DSL connection.

About two weeks ago a new tool-bar addition showed up at the top of ALL my browser pages. It is at the right hand side of my "Address" tool-bar and is preceded by "Search the Web" followed by a small box to type in a search word or title then followed by a click here button labeled "Search" with a drop down arrow.

Because of this my Address box is less than half the length it use to be so URL address are not fully displayed or easy to read or modify.

Please, How do I turn this feature off?

Thank You,
Micheal
16 REPLIES 16
Eino V
Honored Contributor

Hi Micheal

You can shut extra toolbar from View - Toolbars. Take the check mark off from that extra toolbar.

Eino
Micheal ORoark
Advisor

Thank you for the quick response .. but the only tool-bars with check marks are:
1. Standard Buttons
2. Address
3. Links
4. Lock Tool-bars

The new "Search the Web" box will disappear when I remove the check mark from in front of the "Address Bar" but the Address box also goes away. I do not want to loose the Address Bar box because I use it all the time to see where my browser is and where it is going.

Like I said before this new box was not there a few weeks ago but I have always had the "Address" tool-bar checked.

Thanks Again,
Micheal
Eino V
Honored Contributor

Hi Michail

It is possible to restore your XP before the point this was installed, if you have not deleted these restore points.

Eino
Micheal ORoark
Advisor

I thought about that but I was not sure if I would also lose the updates and patches my other programs have downloaded and installed ... such a Spy-Bot, my Virus checker, my latest emails, etc ...

Do you know will they also go back to their previous state?
Eino V
Honored Contributor

Hi Micheal

If you restore to earlier poin, you will loose all updates, you have made after it. You can reinstall them. I am not sure, if adaware or spybot can find it, but you can try.

There is also such program as EasyCleaner which you can try:
http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm

Eino
Michael Dillman
Valued Contributor

Sounds like you have spyware. Check Add\Remove For My Search, My WebSearch, etc. and remove. Then run a program like Sybot Search and Destroy or AdAware, just make sure you apply any updates first.
If at first you don't succeed, you must be installing Windows
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

You'll want to go through add/remove programs and unistall anything that you don't want or need (sounds like you get something from google or yahoo). Also, you'll want to install and run the following:

ad-aware
spybot S&d
ccleaner
microsoft antispyware beta

A virus scan might not be a bad idea either. For a quick on, go to http:\\housecall.antivirus.com
Micheal ORoark
Advisor

I have all of the above ... AV "Trend-Micro PcCillin Internet Security 2006", Spy-ware Doctor, MS AntiSpyware, Register Mechanic, etc. I update them daily and run complete scans daily ... but they have not identified any harmful or new attacks.

Also I do not recognize any thing new in "Add & Remove Programs" but then there are several things I don't recognize at all ... Mostly from Microsoft patches, security updates, etc.

I guess I was hoping it was a simple fix ... just a click here and problem solved sort of thing I just was not aware of.

Thanks for the help any new ideas will be appreciated. Micheal
Rich S
Honored Contributor

Those SEARCH THE WEB toolbars are usually loaded when you load Yahoo Instant Messenger or google. Most of the time they are not spyware to worry about but they have been known to report back to their servers which sites you visit for statistical purposes.

IN most cases, you will find them in your ADD/REMOVE software within your control panel.

Removing the toolbar software will remove the unwanted SEARCH THE WEB.

Rich

Say thanks with POINTS