1754216 Members
3393 Online
108812 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Over my head in this VLan setup

Teracom
Frequent Visitor

Over my head in this VLan setup

Ok so I was called in to replace some Engenius APs. The install went great and the network is up and running flawlessly. Now they want to add a guest network using the same APs and I am charged with setting all of this up on a network I didn't install. I can fumble my way through VLan setup usually but this one involves 4 switches linked with fiber in 2 different buildings. Any help you guys could give would be extremely appreciated.

So here's what I have so far.

Sonicwall TZ215 (controlled by outside IT company, they are supposed to be configuring a subnet of 192.168.10.x as VLan 10. From port X0 on Sonicwall it connects to Switch 1 (HP JE008A) on port 21.

From Switch 1 Port 25 (Fiber) to Switch 2 (HP JE 9803A) Port 25 (Fiber)

From Switch 2 Port 26 (Fiber) to Switch 3(HP JE9803A) Port 26 (Fiber)

From Switch 3 Port 25 (Fiber) to IDF Switch 1 (HP JE9803A) Port 25 (Fiber)

AP in MDF is on Switch 3 Port 24

APs in IDF are on IDF Switch 1 Ports 1 & 4

I do have access to all of the switches as they were never password protected. From what I think I know I was looking at setting the ports the APs are connected to as tagged for VLan 10 and all the uplink ports to untagged for VLan 10? Is this correct? What and where do I set the PVID? This got way over my head faster than I thought it would, any help or suggestions would be amazing!

3 REPLIES 3
J-Christophe
Advisor

Hi,

Not sure, I understood your explananation :-)

What do you mean by: "the ports the APs are connected to as tagged for VLan 10 and all the uplink ports to untagged for VLan 10"

Can you show us, the configuration on each ports on your Swich ?

Also, what do you expect to have as a configuration ?

Jean-Christophe

Teracom
Frequent Visitor

The ports the access points are physically connected to. Do I need those tagged or untagged? And then the ports that each switch connects to all the way back to the sonicwall, or those tagged or untagged?

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Setup a new VLAN for the Guest wireless network in exactly the same way that the existing wireless VLAN is setup.

The new VLAN will be Tagged everywhere and won't be a PVID.

You shouldn't use an untagged VLAN on uplinks.