New Discussion юеВ

Adding 72GB LVD disk in vg00

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Adding 72GB LVD disk in vg00

Hi friends,

I came across a issue while adding 72GB disk in vg00. Original vg00 has 18GB of PV. when i tried to add 72Gb disk, it gave Max_PE_Extend is limited to 4509, Can't increase to 17051. Hence I could get only 18GB more.. Pls advise the reason if anyone knows ..
Secondaly with two 18GB and one 72GB disk on rp5400 and HP-UX B.11.11, How can I make best use of the one 72GB disk?
I have OS lvols and Oracle lvols on VG00 ( 18GB ) , second disk ( 18GB ) has application lvols.
As I understand the Max PE of a vg should increase automatically to the max PE of the largest disk in the vg. Is it right?

6 REPLIES 6
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Re: Adding 72GB LVD disk in vg00

I think you need to do a Ignite restoration ..

refer these links,

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=15455

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=418147

-Karthik S S
For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
Rajeev  Shukla
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,
Max PE is a parameter that is set when the VG is created. Since a 18GB disk was the first one to be added to that VG it took the Max PE per PV to be 4509 and now the only type of disks you can add to this VG to utilize the full capacity is either 18GB or less.
Now to fully utilize the 72GB disk either you have to create another VG say vg01 or if you still insist in using this disk in VG00 then you have to make a Ignite Backup and then restore it on 72GB disk (make that as the boot disk).
Tim D Fulford
Honored Contributor

can nee do it ca'tin....

I'm afraid MAX PE per PV etc are frozen.. If you take an Ignite-UX image & restore the system (vg00) you can resolve this...

Tim
-
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Since this is VG00, the operating system volume, it doesn't make any sense to add more disk to it. Good sysadmin design would limit VG00 to just HP-UX and home directories. Make a VG01 to add your 72Gb disk--which can all be done without a reboot or changing VG00 at all. TYhe whole purpose behind Volume Groups is to separate functions and to keep VG00 fairly static.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

I am not sure how much space you have allocated for vg00.

vg00 vg should be used as a system vg where all system file systems reside.

The best adv. would be when the system is down and you are restoring vg00.

First if you are trying to create new file systems then create a seperate VG and that should be the case for you.

THe max_PE is based on the largest disk on the VG by default during the creation of VG.
NOw you cannot add the 72GB disk unless you re-create the VG.
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Thanks to everyone for your advise and clarifications.