4402 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Creating a mapfile from a vgxx.conf file

Geetha_1
Regular Advisor

Creating a mapfile from a vgxx.conf file

Hi,
Is there a way to create a mapfile from a vgxx.conf file? I did not create a mapfile of the volume group - but need to vgimport it now. I only have a vgxx.conf file. I don't want to lose the data on the disk.

The volume group does not exist in /etc/fstab. The machine had a failure and I had to reload the OS using a Ignite tape.

Thanks.
Geetha.
6 REPLIES 6
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: Creating a mapfile from a vgxx.conf file

You only need a map file if you had non-standard logical volume names (lvol1, lvol2, etc.).

Pete

Pete
Geetha_1
Regular Advisor

I have the date on the disk with the vg header info on the disk. I need to import this disk into my /etc/fstab. Is there a way to vgimport without the mapfile. I don't have a vg_apps.mapfile. All I have is a vg_apps.conf file. It had 2 lvols (lvol1 and lvol2) on the disk.
Geetha_1
Regular Advisor

I have the data on the disk with the vg header info on the disk. I need to import this disk into my /etc/fstab. Is there a way to vgimport without the mapfile. I don't have a vg_apps.mapfile. All I have is a vg_apps.conf file. It had 2 lvols (lvol1 and lvol2) on the disk.
Geetha_1
Regular Advisor

I have the data on the disk with the vg header info. I need to import this disk into my /etc/fstab. Is there a way to vgimport without the mapfile. I don't have a vg_apps.mapfile. All I have is a vg_apps.conf file. It had 2 lvols (lvol1 and lvol2) on the disk.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

With those standard lvol names, you won't need a map file (and no you can not build one from the vgxx.conf file).

Simply do:

mkdir /dev/vg01
mknod /dev/vg01/group c 64 0x010000
vgimport /dev/vg01 /dev/dsk/cxtxdx

Pete

Pete
Geetha_1
Regular Advisor

I figured it out. Thx.
Geetha.