108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Importing EVA snapshot of shared disk

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jason Ray
Frequent Advisor

Importing EVA snapshot of shared disk

I am trying to use snapshots on my EVA8000 with VxVM 4.1 on HP-UX 11.23.

The LUN that I am taking the snapshot of is part of a Veritas shared disk group in a Serviceguard 2 node cluster.

The snapshot on the EAV8k works fine. However, I haven't been able to find a way to import that disk onto another machine. The presentation works and the machine is able to see the snapshot. But the import fails with this:
VxVM vxdg ERROR V-5-1-587 Disk group qaglddg: import failed: Disk in use by another cluster

The machine I am importing the disk onto is also part of a 2 node Serviceguard cluster. But it looks like Veritas won't let you import a shared disk onto a machine if the clusterid is different.

Has anyone tried doing anything with EVA snapshots with Veritas shared disks? I know one solution is to first deport the disk on the original machine and then take the snapshot so that its no longer a shared disk. But that would require an outage of the diskgroup so it wouldn't work for what we're trying to do.
3 REPLIES 3
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor
Solution

I would try this:

Disk in use by another cluster

Description: An attempt was made to import a disk group whose disks are stamped with the ID of another cluster.

Action: If the disk group is not imported by another cluster, retry the import using the -C (clear import) flag.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Hasan  Atasoy
Honored Contributor

did you run command
vxdisk clearimport diskname
for each disk in this diskgroup before trying to import dg.
Jason Ray
Frequent Advisor

Thanks. Using the -C option did clear off the clusterid. But when I tried the import it still failed so I forced it and it works but something else wierd happened. Veritas is complaining because a disk is missing. The shared disk group that this was copied from was 2 disks mirrored. I only took a snapshot of the 1 disk and was importing that.

So Veritas gives an error that the other mirror disk is missing. Which shouldn't make a difference because I should still be able to mount the filesystems off of the imported snapshot.

root@anchovy /
#vxdg -s import qaglddg
VxVM vxdg ERROR V-5-1-587 Disk group qaglddg: import failed: Disk for disk group not found
root@anchovy /
#vxdg -sf import qaglddg
VxVM vxdg WARNING V-5-1-560 Disk qaglddg_01b: Not found, last known location: c84t0d2
root@anchovy /
#vxdisk list
DEVICE TYPE DISK GROUP STATUS
c0t0d2s2 auto:hpdisk rootdisk01 rootdg online
c8t0d1s2 auto:hpdisk rootdisk02 rootdg online
c8t0d3 auto:cdsdisk qaglddg_01a qaglddg online shared nohotuse
- - qaglddg_01b qaglddg failed nohotuse was:c84t0d2