Operating System - HP-UX
1756187 Members
2733 Online
108842 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VxVM Vets/Experts: Process to Split off Volumes/Disks from a Diskgroup. No DJS/FMR License

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

VxVM Vets/Experts: Process to Split off Volumes/Disks from a Diskgroup. No DJS/FMR License

I use to have documentation on this (unsupported trick I got from a Veritas SE - but works). My server has the Full VxVM license but not the DJS (Disjkgroup Join and Split) or FastMirrorResync/FlashSnap license which allows "vxdg join/vxdg split" operation.

I recall doing a "vxprint -mvpshr" and then removing the disks that contain the volume/objects you want to move out(but data preserved) out of the disk group. "vxmake" is then use to read off an edited output of the vxprint command above.

Anyone still have the specific procedure handy?

Hakuna Matata.
4 REPLIES 4
Ninad_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: VxVM Vets/Experts: Process to Split off Volumes/Disks from a Diskgroup. No DJS/FMR License

Nelson,

I am not sure, but it seems that you are looking for the following.

Move volumes from diskgroup to another diskgroup
1. Take the dump of configuration of the volumes of the diskgroup which will be used to create the other diskgroup
vxprint -hmvpsQq -g diskgroup2 > /log/diskgroup2_allVolumesvxprint_mhvpsQq.config.051121_2206
2. Stop all the volumes from the diskgroup
vxvol -g diskgroup2 stop bkcopyvol01
vxvol -g diskgroup2 stop bkcopyvol0n
3. Remove the volumes from diskgroup
vxedit -g diskgroup2 -r rm bkcopyvol01
vxedit -g diskgroup2 -r rm bkcopyvol0n
4. Remove the disks from the diskgroup
vxdg -g diskgroup2 rmdisk disk_media_name1
vxdg -g diskgroup2 rmdisk disk_media_namen
5. Initialise the other diskgroup with one disk
vxdg init diskgroup1 disk_media_name1=c5t0d0s2
6. Add all the other disks to the diskgroup
vxdg -g diskgroup1 adddisk disk_media_name2=c5t1d0s2
vxdg -g diskgroup1 adddisk disk_media_namen=c5tnd0s2
7. Create volumes in the disk group as per the information that was captured before deporting the disks from diskgroup
vxmake -g diskgroup1 -d /log/diskgroup2_BkVolvxprint_mhvpsQq.config.051121_2206
8. Activate the volumes
vxvol -g diskgroup1 init active bkcopyvol01
vxvol -g diskgroup1 init active bkcopyvol0n

Mount the fileystems from original diskgroup
mount /filesystem1
mount /filesystemn

Hope this helps,

Ninad
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Re: VxVM Vets/Experts: Process to Split off Volumes/Disks from a Diskgroup. No DJS/FMR License

Smashing Ninad!

One question. Can I use one of the disks to be moved to create the new diskgroup via "vxdg init newdg disk1=cXtYdZ"? Or should it be an entirely new disk?

Hakuna Matata.
Ninad_1
Honored Contributor

Nelson,

Infact the procedure I have mentioned is for using the same disks into other diskgroup so that the data is intact [ and not new disks]
This is an extract of the procedure we use to take snapshot volumes from the production volumes, then deport the disks, import the disks onto the backup server, mount the filesystems and backup.
Ofcourse the production and backup servers are seeing the same disks with the same disk names.

Regards,
Ninad
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

I found my notes from a long time ago and on their I seemed to define a new DG with a disk that is not part of the disks/volumes that are being moved.

I guess you are correct since "vxdg init" only changes the private regions. So I can use the same disks or one to create my initial DG..

Thanks!

Hakuna Matata.